Rebuilding a 1971 302. Info needed. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-09, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Rebuilding a 1971 302. Info needed.

I'm rebuilding a 71 302 for my brother. We already decided to go with a roller cam. I have the stock hyd roller lifters, dog bones and retainer from a Mustang GT. I know I just need to drill and tap a couple holes in the cam bearing area of the block, no problem. I will get the cam bearings replaced after the drilling and tapping.

My question has to do with good pistons, rings, bearings etc for a decent price. I'll have the block bored for the new pistons, but need to have them in hand first. Where is a good place to buy stock weight pistons say 0.020" or 0.030" over?

It still has the stock 71 heads. Should I get some E7 heads or redo the stock ones?

I guess I have to say what he expects from the engine. He wants total reliabilty, no racing, just cruising, but wants a cam like lopey idle. We were thinking of an E303 cam. It will have a 600 Holley on it, no EFI. He just doesn't want to foul plugs or have a smooth idle. He wants a bit of lope but will not be going to any tracks. Make sense? Just a cruiser, would I really need to upgrade the heads? (this is going in a 71 Comet GT). 3.00 rear gear, C4 auto, stock converter.

Let me know your thoughts and experinces.

Thanks.

Danford1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-09, 03:25 PM

Re: Rebuilding a 1971 302. Info needed.

Try the auto parts stores, they may have .020 pistons. Newer GT-40 heads would probably help. I like Crane 260 cams in the past.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-09, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Does the Crane 260 cam have any lope at idle?

Danford1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-09, 06:10 AM

Of course I don't know how much lope you want. I built a 351 with a Crane EconoPower 260 some years ago You could tell it wasn't the OEM cam. Crane is out of business @ this time. Also built a 351 with the Performer cam. The specs make it a bigger cam, but seemed mellower than the Crane. A cam will run/sound "Bigger" in a 302 than in a 351.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-09, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. That Does give me something to go by.
I appreciate the response.

Cheers
Danford1

PS he wants all the lope he can get and still use the stock converter and 3.00 rear gears, but not sacrifice low end.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-09, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
PS he wants all the lope he can get and still use the stock converter and 3.00 rear gears, but not sacrifice low end.
You start talking lope, you'll start sacrificing low end. Even with a mild cam, headers and dual plane intake are a must. Lower gears would be a nice upgrade also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech