Windsor engine number - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-05, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Windsor engine number

Hi all, I was wondering if it was possible to find out what engine I have using the engine number as opposed to the VIN number. I am looking to buy a mustang with the VIN saying it is a 'c' code. I am wondering if the engine is original or if it has been swapped. Is there a web site that might be able to tell me.
Cheers Danno

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-05, 04:44 AM

Re: Windsor engine number

Hi Dan, the engine number wont tell you anything much. In fact a lot of the Mustangs didnt or dont have an engine number. If there is a number and it matches the VIN, then that was stamped outside the factory. Matching numbers for early Mustangs referred to casting numbers. If the casting number (found under the starter motor), indicates a date prior to the production date of your car then it MAY be original. At the very least it may help you decide if it is a 289 0r 302. Other ways to tell the difference, remove the inlet manifold, the capacity is often cast into the block ie. 302.
Remove a head and measure the stroke. I very much doubt anyone is about to let you do this to there car until you buy it.
Anybody else got any clues?
nassi

AUIII XR6 Ute
66 Mustang convertible
AUIII XR8 Sedan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-05, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Cheers Nassi, I'll hopefully find out soon what the engine is. Cheers also for the pics of the seatbelt locations

Danno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-05, 06:13 AM
TD_2_NV

I have the same problem...although I'm not working on a Mustang...The number stamped into the block of my 302 is GH 17645 C I've been told that the G represents the decade ie G = 1970 and the H represents the month ie H = July I can only assume that the figures represent the unique id of the block and god only knows what the C stands for.

Be interested to see what comes from this post

Cheers
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-05, 03:20 PM

I think Nassi is right on the money.
Just in case you don't know what a 'c' code is, its a 289 with two BBL inlet manifold and 2100 Autolite Carb. If it still has both of these, odds on its the original engine. I cant imagine someone putting in a 2bbl 302.
However if it has an aftermarket mainifold and carb, could be either.
Another thing, from memory there is a casting number visable on one of the heads, under the rocker cover. This could also be checked to see if it was originally fitted to a 289 or 302.
My 'c code' also had the original tag still fitted onto one of the manifold bolts. This shows 289, c and the date from memory. its just a 1.5" * 3/4" aluminium tag.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-05, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_2_NV
I have the same problem...although I'm not working on a Mustang...The number stamped into the block of my 302 is GH 17645 C I've been told that the G represents the decade ie G = 1970 and the H represents the month ie H = July I can only assume that the figures represent the unique id of the block and god only knows what the C stands for.

Be interested to see what comes from this post

Cheers
The GH prefix was used in 1970, and is the bit about what type of car and transmission it was for.

For example, GJ is a GT manual (for example only, go to the GT club site to check) The C on the end means V8.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-05, 11:39 PM

C actually means 60's and it will have a number after it like 9 means 69-72 cast , d is 70 and so on ,
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-05, 11:19 PM
i'll never grow up

i am pretty certain only falcon vin and engine numbers from i think xy on used the month and year. and it is the 4and 5th or 5th and 6 letters that refer to date. eg:
jg32fp7799989489. as did Vin and eng have matching numbers. Mustangs could be different as may be early Windsors only.
Not saying anyones wrong but differing opinions may be confused by falcon numbers.

95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech