Best jet size? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

1Likes
  • 1 Post By afFORDable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-16, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Best jet size?

Not speficially a galaxie question but...

The car is a 65 with a 289.
It has dual exhaust and an Edelbrock Performer 289, dual plane manifold and a Holley 4150 carb which were taken off another car.

The jets in the carb were installed for a much larger application and I need to know what size jets should be installed for this kind of application.

I know I can get an emissions test but figured there are a lot of folks that actually know the best combos without even needing such a test.

Thought I'd ask.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-16, 07:28 AM
Dazed and Confused

Re: Best jet size?

Well, on a stock unit, you're usually looking at around 50 on the primaries and close to 60 on the secondaries. A 4150 is the carburetor model, not the size. For a high performance 289, it shouldn't exceed 600 unless it has some really radical mods. You're probably looking at 50-52 for the primaries, and 60-62 on the secondaries. Best to get a kit (they're reasonably cheap) and start there, run it. If you're lean on cruise, step up 2 or more sizes (one size doesn't really affect you much), rich step down. Then do the same with hard acceleration. You'll notice the difference with response, when you're close, improved response will plane out, go too far and it will start to go sluggish. if it gets sluggish, back off about 3 sizes. That's how we used to do it before the days of carb tuning shops. If you;re really a stickler, there are shops around that will monitor air intake and exhaust to get peak performance a lot quicker and much more accurate with no guess work, but they will cost you.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-16, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Re: Best jet size?

Wow, it took almost two minutes for the site to stop updating ads and other garbage so I could finally see your reply and reply back.

I don't know the size of the jets but just wanted to give the carb model as some detail.

I do have an exhaust monitor but have never used it so maybe it's time. You've given me a starting point which is something I didn't really have before.

Thanks very much.
CatSkinner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Classic Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie