Numbers on 65 390 engine not matching up???? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Block Ford

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-15, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Numbers on 65 390 engine not matching up????

Hey guys,
Got a few simple questions that I hoped maybe some of you had either seen before, or had some more knowledge on.
First off, I am a very knowledgeable car guy and have been around fords all of my life.
I just bought a 65 Galaxie 500 convertible that should have a 390 motor in it accordining to the warranty tag on the door and the "Z"code. I know that all FE blocks are stamped 352 and are not discernable to cubes or size by any outside markings, as is the case with my motor also. I have taken the motor completely apart, measured the stroke at 3.75 (or greater depending on my wonderful measuring skills), and have also verified that it is a TRUE 390 as it is marked on the first lobe of the crank "390".
My confusion comes with this...... The date codes on many parts of the motor just don't jive with a 65.
The carb is dated correct at C5AF-AL.
The tranny is dated correct at C5AP 7006A
Pass side Exhaust man is correct at C5SE9430C
Intake is correct at C5AE425C
But, the following are where I am confused:
Block has a code of C6ME-A - also has the letter E on one side by itself.
Heads are C8AE-H (but many of the parts inside heads have date code of C4AE)
Driver side Exhaust man has D2TE9431AA
Main Bearings have date stamp of C2AE
Pistons have stamp of C6AE
There is also a stamp of the number 30 and the number 6, both on the first lobe of the crank?? And a 2U on the 3rd lobe.
I am going to try and attach some pictures, but I guess my question is this..... Is this common in the late 60s, or is this just a rebuilt motor that has been thrown together with random parts? And, does the 2U, 30 & the 6 on the crank signify anything special?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg block#.JPG (133.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Blockdate.JPG (116.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg blockE.jpg (51.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg crank390.JPG (119.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg crank30.JPG (94.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg heads.jpg (52.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg headinternals.JPG (110.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg maincastings.JPG (144.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg pistons.JPG (114.6 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-15, 10:47 PM
FF.com Administrator

Re: Numbers on 65 390 engine not matching up????

It can be quite tricky figuring stuff like this out. Alot of those numbers are casting numbers and they are cast into the parts and are an original intention of what the part was designed for and the vehicle it was originally intended for so a car could have parts with a casting number that seems quite old for it. Some are casting dates that give a better idea of when the part was made.

I think in your case that the engine has been replaced and likely some of the original externals such as carb and manifolds etc have been fitted back to the engine. The manifold with the later model casting number has probably been a replacement for a cracked manifold or such.

The 2U seems to be common for a 390 crank.

It is common to have older casting numbers matched with newer numbers as explained before because if the part is not changed from it's original intention then Ford continues to cast the same part with that casting number for years. That number is not a date stamp but a casting number. They are a different numbering system. Your first photo has the block casting number that could be the same for years whereas your second photo has a casting date 7E8 which suggests 8th day of May 1967.

That seems to be past your build date which makes me think your engine has been replaced. Thats my opinion.
65Galaxie500XL likes this.

Lance
71 429SCJ Mustang
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-15, 10:26 AM
63-1/2 Galaxie

Re: Numbers on 65 390 engine not matching up????

Hi, I've been involved with a few FE block Ford stuff. the left exhaust manifold D2TE tells me it is off a 1972 F150 or F250.
The right hand exhaust manifold C5SE I believe is Thunderbird.
Ford part numbers that start with C are sixties, D, 70's etc. I have an 88 F-150 and part nbrs start with E. If main bearings have a stamp C2AE that means they were manufactured in 1962, and that also means if you found that number in a 1965 or 66 Ford main bearing, that would mean Ford used that part number for several years rather than restamp the numbers. I think you got an engine made up of different year parts. C8AE would mean 1968 followed by the number. C6ME-A would be Mercury. But usually the number after the letter indicates the year of manufacture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Classic Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie