What size jets would be best - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-15, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

What size jets would be best

I have a 66 Galaxie with a 289, Edelbrock Performer 289, dual plane manifold and a Holley 4150. The car also has dual exhaust.

The jets in the carb seem very wrong because the car has no power at all, as if it is running way too rich.

Wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to find some info online which might suggest the best jet size for this combination of engine parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-15, 08:24 AM
Dazed and Confused

Re: What size jets would be best

I'd start around 70 to 72 assuming a stock cam. If you're going to play with jetting, I'd consider buying a jet kit, especially if you plan on future mods. A pair of jets will run you between 7 and 8 bucks, a whole kit maybe 80. Before spending time and energy on the jets, make sure your choke is in proper working order. I'd see where the air cleaner any interfere with the butterflies opening due to choke issues. Had the problem with a 302 Mustang and spent 3 months off and on beating on the jets and air mix before I found the choke being the issue, just wasn't an issue with the air cleaner on.

Also, "A Look Inside Your Carburetor" on this link has some pretty good info and tips.

https://www.holley.com/support/resources/

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-15, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Re: What size jets would be best

Thanks for the input. Father in law also suggests checking to see if the rear bowl is getting fuel when it's not supposed to.
No other mods on this, just thought I'd up the HP a tad. Everything is stock but the intake/carb and dual exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Classic Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie