1989 NA Fairlane - Page 3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-16, 12:39 AM
Moderators

Re: 1989 NA Fairlane

The power steering switches fail often and will cause stalling at low speed turns (it is meant to send a signal to the ECU to increase engine revs when you are turning) ; but it is probably OK as you are meant to swing the steering wheel back and forth half a turn once the self test has initiated (first flashes) otherwise it will report a fault.

Quote:
Today, I found the ECU connector, on the left side of the engine bay
It's usually the right side or driver's side near the firewall/brake master cylinder but perhaps you were standing in front of the car. Similarly, the battery is usually on the right side or driver's side. Like this:

Peter Campbell likes this.

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-16, 05:45 PM

Good information there.

Today, was the big day.

So I set up the dizzy, and bolted up the throttle, the upteenth time.

Then, as I was swapping over the ISC from the throttle, the gasket, was so brittle, it came to pieces under my fingernail.
And then, the MAP sensor hose was loose around the fitting, so I, cut a half inch off the end to get it tighter, after noticing the hose crack, clean in half, around an inch down, and later, noticing in horror, that the connection of a new one, involved, taking out all the distributor and components, all over again, to get my hand up the manifold from hell, to get the new hose connected.

I thought I could get parts today, after realising it was geelong cup holiday, with all the shops closed.

A lovely sunny day, stuck at home.

So, I devised a plan, to avoid the maintenance strain.

Usually the 3.9 Litre job from Hell, involves, the starter motor, and or Ignition coil, and or distributor.
And ah yes, I do believe it wont be too long before the starter motor, causes me more grief.

So, in stock, a brand new starter motor, MAP hose, and distributor, for the next job from hell.

Oh, more fun, I couldn't find in any manuals, the power steering switch job.
Found it on Youtube, with the mechanic finding so little room, in a fiddly awkward little space, where the switch goes, sawing a 14mm spanner in half, just to shift it!

Can't wait for that one...

Last edited by Peter Campbell; 10-18-16 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-16, 03:57 PM
Moderators

Quote:
Oh, more fun, I couldn't find in any manuals, the power steering switch job.
Found it on Youtube, with the mechanic finding so little room, in a fiddly awkward little space, where the switch goes, sawing a 14mm spanner in half, just to shift it!

Can't wait for that one...
Those videos always make me laugh as actually it just requires some minor lateral thinking; jack the front driver's side up and remove the right hand front wheel and it is very easy to get at. Just watch that:

a) you turn the replacement switch at the hex with a spanner; even hand tightening with the plastic part of the switch will break the switch seal and it will leak;
b) aftermarket replacement switch has a different size hex so you need tow different spanners - one for removal of old switch one for installing new switch; and
c) aftermarket switches come with cheap rubber "O" rings that are not power steering fluid resistant and will turn to mush so the switch leaks again; so get a factory "O" ring or use power steering resistant sealant (LOCTITE HYDRAULIC SEALANT 569 and 542) and a factory "O" ring. The buna rubber and nitrile "o" rings supplied with most switches are not hydraulic fluid resistant and turn to mush after a few months. You need polyacrylate "o" rings.

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-16, 10:52 PM

I had thought, that we nearly there.
Then, after checking the spark plug lead, and finding no spark, a whole range of new grief, began.
So, after all the other replacements, throttle, ISC, gasket after gasket.
I have to do, it, all over again!
I've decided, that the modification, might have caused a poor spark.
So, we're putting the ignition coil, back under the manifold, with the rest of the joke.
I don't want to ever have to do this job from Hell, again, so I am selling the car, after I get it going, and I don't intend to buy another NA.
Any, multipoint fuel injected nightmares, for that matter.
The MPFI 3.9L is, eh, a real disappointment.
Its really sad that Ford made this, I really believe they could have done better..

You know, I got the money together, for another mechanic to work on it, for a laugh.

But, he accosted me, almost straight away, $140, and then it wasn't funny anymore..
Told him to piss off.

I'll try and keep a straight face when I'm selling it.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-16, 04:51 AM
Moderators

Remember the car is 27 years old, done at least 267,000 km and getting a bit long in the teeth so you have to expect a fair bit of maintenance would be required to get it back up to scratch.

Regards Blue
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-16, 04:59 AM
Moderators

Quote:
we're putting the ignition coil, back under the manifold
It will work fine relocated. That's why many new coils such as this one Bosch Ignition Coil - Ford Falcon EA EB ED EL XG XH 6 cyl | eBay and http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-I...UAAOxyF0pThGN2 come with an extension lead.

Regards Blue
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-16, 05:09 AM
Moderators

But yes; replacing the starter motor can be a challenge without the right selection of socket extension bars. But if you want better access, reliability and performance get the NC with the 5 litre V8. As they use sequential electronic fuel injection they use about the same amount of fuel as the banked injected MPEFI six. The V8 used in the NC is a truck engines designed for the F series (not the same sized one used in the Mustang of that ears) so it about durability and economy rather than performance; nonetheless they have heaps of torque and go well.

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons