BA falcon hot start problem - Page 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-13, 01:32 AM

Re: BA falcon hot start problem

I have the same problem with mine, its now in the Auto shop and they are trying to fix it,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-15, 02:27 AM

I have the same problem with my 2002 BA Ford Fairmont 6 cylinder. Has had difficult starting for many months. Usually starts on second attempt after sitting for a while when engine is warm, or one long attempt. Other than this it runs well. My BA is dual fuel with sequential LPG injection, but seems to make little difference to how long it takes for the engine to settle after starting whether it stays on petrol or changes quickly to LPG. At the moment I am experimenting with cooling the ECU to see if it improves the problem.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-15, 01:05 AM

After trying cold water on the ECU without any improvement it is not caused by an overheated ECU. Next I tried starting with a small amount of throttle and this seems to overcome the problem. Will keep trialing this method, but it looks like it is a good temporary fix. Simply cycling the throttle (max to min) before starting has no benefit, but holding at about 1/8 to 1/4 throttle gives a good result. Wonder what this would indicate is the root cause? Bad throttle position sensor, MAP sensor or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-15, 09:10 AM
Dazed and Confused

Don't know a lot about the dual fuel, but from what I can gather, it might clear with a cleaning of the ISC-BPA. As to it's location, hopefully someone else can point and grunt who is a little more familiar with the Aussie line.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-16, 03:46 AM

My BA 6 cylinder with a PRINS VSI system (LPG injection) has had the exact same hot start problem for months. Finally found the problem was a leaky gas injector! My guess is that a similar thing might happen with a leaky petrol injector.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-16, 09:42 PM

Something that has helped me was replacing the fuel filter. Maybe a little strange that it did not affect cold starting or hot restarts if not left to sit for any time. The fuel filter had not been replaced for quite a while (over 30,000km) and the difficult hot starting after sitting for, say, 15min to 2hrs became gradually worse. It is an easy thing to replace (once you know where it is) so a good thing to do if having any starting issues. My fuel filter (BA for Falcon) is under the car near the passenger door. I did need to buy a flare nut spanner as the flare nuts at either end were really tight and using the wrong spanner could easily round the nuts.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-18, 11:01 PM

I also have a BA I just went to the shop and put petrol in and lpg in switched the car over to run gas and on the way home the car temp went to 3/4 then back down to half and the car nearly cut out while driving into my street and now the car won't start and when I turned the car of we could smell gas.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-18, 03:26 AM
Moderators

Are you sure the smell was gas and not the smell of an overheated engine (the head gasket may have blown)? When it's cooled down check the coolant level and if it's an automatic, also check for signs of coolant in the transmission oil or transmission oil in the coolant (the transmission fluid cooler in the bottom of the radiator often fail so coolant and fluid mix - killing the transmission). Also check for sign of coolant on the oil dipstick and mayonnaise like oil/coolant deposits on the inside of oil filler cap - the head gasket can also fail so coolant enters the oil passages. If the engine does not turn over with the starter motor also check the engine crank pulley will turn by hand with a spanner as if the head has cracked or warped due to catastrophic overheating, coolant may have entered the cylinders and the connecting rods may be bent and the engine seized. The rule is to stop and check as soon as you notice overheating; continuing to drive risks major damage. WARNING: If the coolant is low whatever you do, DO NOT add cold coolant to the hot engine (it will crack the head in the same way as a cold glass placed in hot water cracks); wait until the it has totally cooled down.

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons