Known problems with xg vans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-17, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Known problems with xg vans

I have just picked up such a vehicle, and before I go and get the road worthy check, I thought I would fix the known problems. Its done 222,000km so they are quite low. Can anybody make suggestions of repairs I should do anyway. It has no rust.

John Daley, Bendigo, Australia, Ford Specials
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-17, 03:40 PM
Moderators

Re: Known problems with xg vans

If it's a six, head gasket failures are the most serious common issue; further failures can be prevented by fitting the MLS (Multi Layer Steel) gasket made for the AU series.

Regards Blue
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-17, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
I wondered about steering, suspension items as well?

John Daley, Bendigo, Australia, Ford Specials
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-17, 08:30 PM
Moderators

The front tyres wear unevenly (on the outside) if a camber and castor kit has not been fitted (if one has been fitted you'll see shims behind the upper 'A' arm and longer bolts in the engine bay where the 'A' arm attaches). The auto transmissions are subject to milkshakes (mixing of coolant with trans fluid) if the cooler in the bottom of the radiator fails (so it is better to replace rather than repair the radiator when you have radiator issues -they last about 5 years). Manual trans is bullet proof. Inlet manifold stud nuts get loose at each end of manifold where the manifold attached to the head burning out gasket and creating vacuum leaks (so check and tighten these nuts regularly). Steering racks can come loose where they attached to the body (click felt/heard through floor when you take off from stop). Rack will leak at one or both ends eventually but that's a normal wear with age issue like the usual wheel bearing, power steering pump, shockies etc. Watch the powering steering pump for leaks from the reservoir pipes as they leak onto the alternator destroying it. I could go on but you might think they are a problem car but they really are cheap and reliable with cheap readily available parts.

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons