Ford Forums banner

3.0 vs rx7

13K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
hey guys, here is my question will a 90 rx7 turbo be able to beat the 3.0 at a race?, this guys says that he wants to race me when i get my car fixed cause he has heard that my probe was modded a lot (which is true), i saw his car and its got the usuals intake, exhaust, rims, intercooler, etc what i did notice its that his turbo looked kinda big, my guess is that he has a t3 or something similar, i will be racing him with the probe 3.0 vulcan/sho hybrid, ported and polished intakes, supercharger at around 7 psi, exhaust, intake, high flow car converter, possibly a 40 hp NOS shot and some other stuff (i hope) when i finally get it running again, also do you guys know what its the quarter mile in those cars?, thanks for your opinions.

#2 ·
I don't know what their 1/4 times are, but I do know that the Turbos are quick. Especially if he has an upgraded turbo and intake/exhaust mods. You would not be able to beat him with a stock or fairly close to stock 3.0. With the supercharger and all of your other plans, you may still have a chance, but if he has an upgraded turbo you may lose.

Now if it were a non-turbo RX-7 I would say that you would win, even without the supercharger, but that's not the case here.

Just run him once you get all your shiznit installed and let us know how it turned out.

I would love to own an early 90's turbo RX-7......

#3 ·
Yah I spanked a stock N/A RX-7 with my stock 3.0. Do you have the supercharer on yet?? It would be my guess that it would take time to get that finely tuned to the engine. I would think that you deffently have a chance, hell I think you have a good chance with just the NOS.
-Frost

#4 ·
uhhhh no... an rx7 will spank us stock for stock. my best friend has one and we just started tricking it out.
I had a few very basic mods and he left my way back in the dust when he was stock.
they have 160 versus our 140 and that straight line acceleration the rotary engine is known for.

#5 ·
damn now i have another car to really watch out for i knew those rx-7 turbos were fast but not as fast as you are saying caliguy i guess i should be aiming at having a higher boost in the supercharger setup then. if this race ever occur i will try to have someone tape it, even if i lose.

G
#6 ·
You should just madifly the engine enough so that you can run the supercharger at 15-20psi. that would give you hella more power. with the eaton m90 thats about 150-200 hp. But to do this your going to have to really beef up the engine so you dont blow anything. Also mixing nos with a supercharge may not be smart. Compressed nos in your engine may be just too much to handle unless its a really low psi, or a very small about of nos. is this right or wrong

#7 ·
now i know this is my first post but i have experience with rx7 and probes well and alot more cars since i own a shop here that mods cars very often.
now the probe can be fast and rx7 can also be fast but rx7s are sluggish off the line and it only gets worse with more mods because its a primarly top end car now if it was na the 3.0 stock for stock would spank it with little effort. now everyone seems to talk about high hp meaning anything but it all depends on how the motor is matched with its parts take a small block V8 now you have a 350hp/300tq and a 300hp/350tq motors in similar cars but the lower hp motor will win consistently...why? because of the torque to get the car moving.....now i didnt notice which rx7 is being compared but if its single turbo im guessing its a 2nd gen with the 13b and the first advantage tou will have is weight the rx7 is much heavier but on a downfall rear wheel drive gets quicker acceleration then a fwd car but theres also more drivetrain loses. theres alot more to get into but if you guys are ever in ny il show ya some of my speed collection just some include a 2004 civic si its pushin 450hp at wheels turbo k20a2, 1st gen rx7 with ls6 and 6spd,various camaros,oh and my lil ole 90 3.0 lx just picked this one up accualy plans are in works for custom sheetmetal intake manny and twin turbos ;) il keep yall posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.