ford territory won't start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Aussiblue
  • 1 Post By Aussiblue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-17, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

ford territory won't start

sorry if there is another thread on this topic im new here and couldn't find one

hi all iv been having trouble with my 2005 ford territory tx awd unfortunatly it ran out of fuel so i put some in it and went to start it but it wont crank over i get lights on the dash battery looks fine i can hear the fuel pump priming but get nothing when i turn the key to start

at first i was like wtf and after a bit of swearing haha i calmed down enough to go through what might be wrong i tried different things i seen on youtube and in other links but nothing has worked i havn't tried jumping it from the starter motor itself as yet but tried the trick of the wire in the starter relay to jump it but still got nothing at all could this be a starter/solernoid problem? or something to do with the car locking itself so it wont start would like to know if anyone has had the same problem thx for reading

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-17, 08:32 AM
Moderators

Re: ford territory won't start

It could be a failed starter motor but 1st Check the terminals on the starter motor are not loose. Also try shorting the solenoid wire (the small one) on the starter to earth with a jumper cable or large to see if that engages the starter.

Also check battery terminals are clean and tight. Also check the ground cable to engine and try a jump cable across from negative battery terminal to engine block. Is your Smartshield light on the dash turning off when you turn ignition on (i.e. when all other dash red warning lights are on)?

I assume it's an automatic transmission; if so the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission can fail; see if banging the shifter into park with force allows it to start. The transmission linkage cable can also break or stretch; does your instrument panel indicator show the "P" when the leaver is in Park?
jwko likes this.

Regards Blue
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-17, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiblue View Post
It could be a failed starter motor but 1st Check the terminals on the starter motor are not loose. Also try shorting the solenoid wire (the small one) on the starter to earth with a jumper cable or large to see if that engages the starter.

Also check battery terminals are clean and tight. Also check the ground cable to engine and try a jump cable across from negative battery terminal to engine block. Is your Smartshield light on the dash turning off when you turn ignition on (i.e. when all other dash red warning lights are on)?

I assume it's an automatic transmission; if so the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission can fail; see if banging the shifter into park with force allows it to start. The transmission linkage cable can also break or stretch; does your instrument panel indicator show the "P" when the leaver is in Park?
thank you aussiblue for the reply

have today checked the starter to make sure nothing is loose everything is ok there battery terminals are good iv even tried another battery but still the same the ground cable is also good just need to try to short it out will do later and post results

is the smartshield the hand sign? if so it does turn off as i go to start the car

and yes it is an auto and have tried what you said but no dice it also does show the "p" when its in park it looks like ill need to remove the starter if its stuffed but god its in a stupid tight spot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-17, 08:50 AM
2002 F150 XLT

Also, try in neutral.

Bert
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-17, 01:56 PM
Moderators

Quote:
is the smartshield the hand sign? if so it does turn off as i go to start the car
Yes; so it's not that.
Bert likes this.

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory