2009 Escape Brakes Dragging - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By R.S.LOGAN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-19, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

2009 Escape Brakes Dragging

2009 Ford Escape, V6, 105K Miles

Started experiencing the brakes dragging on the front passenger side. After 20 mins of city driving, droaning noise, and smoking caliper. I inspected the caliper, and couldn't push in the caliper piston. Figuring the caliper was just frozen, I purchased a new (rebuilt) caliper, and decided to do the pads and rotors while I'm in there. After bleeding the brakes, the problem seemed fixed.

Then it started happening again. I thought a wheel bearing was going because of the persistent noise, but it seems to be brake related. Brake drag seems to happen after about 20 mins of city driving, or after the brakes have seen some use. It gets so bad, that the car won't creep forward while idling. Car is now sitting until I figure out what's wrong or I take it to a shop.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-19, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Re: 2009 Escape Brakes Dragging

You mention a persistent noise. What does it sound like? Is it a whine, growl or grind? Does the sound change with vehicle speed?

The three things that I can think of is a sticking/binding caliper, brake hose or a wheel bearing.

I would have never suspected a brake hose in the past but it was proven to me not long ago that they can cause a brake to bind. The inside of a hose can deteriorate over time, still allowing brake pressure to pass, but block up not letting it release. Setting for awhile it will bleed back off.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-19, 01:37 AM
Moderators

Droning noise is usually wheel bearing . Overheating brake wont have done the bearing any good . As suggested above brake hose collapsed inside can cause fluid to non return , holding on calliper piston / pads .
Bert likes this.

Never, never, never give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-19, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

The noise sounds like a small groan, and more of a "whoom-whoom-whoom" once the car speeds up.
I took the car to a shop, told them the symptoms, and asked them to check the brakes and wheel bearing. They didn't think it was a bearing, and the brakes weren't acting up. <GROAN>

When the brakes aren't dragging, and if I step on the brakes hard, there's a creaking sound from the master cylinder & booster area once the pedal returns. The car will stay put, and eventually lurch forward once the creaking subsides.

So now I'm planning to replace the front brake hoses - $10 each at Rockauto! I don't want to keep throwing money at parts, but should I be concerned about the MC & BB?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-19, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
but should I be concerned about the MC & BB?
No since its only the one wheel giving you problems.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-19, 02:20 AM
Moderators

" They didn't think it was a bearing, and the brakes weren't acting up. <GROAN> "

What did they suggest the noise was then ?

Did they road test car and hear the noise ? If they just checked for wear / play at bearing it wont work .A bearing can be noisy without showing play at wheel.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-19, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I spent some time swapping the front passenger side brake hose. It seems some fluid was trapped it there, because once I cut it in half, a lot spilled out. I plan to slice it lengthwise and look for separation. So far I'm guessing there might be corrosion on the fittings clogging it???

Once replaced, and bled, the brakes seem fine again. I drove around for about 15 minutes, and checked each rotor with a temp gun. The both seemed equal, and nothing over 215 degrees. I'll road test it over the next several days.

Oh yeah, the noise I thought was wheel bearing is less pronounced, but still an issue. In fact I found thick grease around the hub nut and center of the rotor. Wheel bearing grease, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford1.jpg (135.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ford2.jpg (145.1 KB, 4 views)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-19, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Hopefully that fixed it.

That would be wheel bearing grease. I bet the hanging brake overheated the grease and bearing. I'd keep an eye on it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-19, 01:44 AM
Moderators

^ x2 as above.Bearing overheated due to calliper , throws out grease , bearing knacked .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum