Oil on spark end of spark plugs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-19, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Oil on spark end of spark plugs

Hey all,
I don't do too much work on cars/trucks generally but a friend asked me to check out her 2008 Ford escape because it sounded terrible. It was a little 4 cyl engine 2.something, but I checked the oil and it was low (said it was changed about 2 months ago). The entire engine compartment had a misting of oil so I'm guessing there's at least a bad gasket somewhere, but the big issue is when I ran a compression test, spark plugs 2, 3, and 4 all had oil dripping off the end when I pulled them out, I would be surprised to find out they managed to spark. One was clean. Anyways I ran the test and got 210 on 1, 175 on 2, 200 on 3, and 185 on 4.

Does this sound like bad piston rings, or what else could it be? I'm not crazy am I? I can not find much about this on the internet at all, I definitely did not pour oil down the combustion chambers and it's not supposed to be there, right? I told her it would be pretty expensive to fix, but should I get a second opinion? I don't want to make her spend money that she shouldn't or buy a new car if she doesn't have to (the rest of the SUV is not in good shape, lots of rust on frame). The first spark plug was pretty white as well, and a light is on on the dashboard but it is not the check engine light and the engine still runs but it sounds really rough.

My friend wouldn't intentionally neglect her truck, im fairly certain she changes oil at least twice a year, but there's definitely a leak and there's no saying how much it's been driven with low oil, the low oil light did not come on so i am not sure the lights are working because the oil was definitely too low.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-19, 05:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: Oil on spark end of spark plugs

Could be a couple of things, I've attached a link that explains a few things. If the Escape is that bad, might be time to look for another.

https://www.howacarworks.com/engine/...mpression-test

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum