1996 EFI into rod - simplify harness - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-07, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

1996 EFI into rod - simplify harness

Hello:
Here is what I am trying: 1996 Mustang 3.8L (efi) into a 1947 Ford truck. Can anybody help in simplifying the EFI harness and the Power harness under the hood? I would like to find best way to provide power (constant and switched) and maintain neccesary harness. I hate to buy a Painless harness when I have everything from the 1996 mustang. Diagrams, advice or professional help is welcome... Greg from Texas.

PS,, I have complete car wire diagrams and haynes, etc... Not sure if I just begin to unwrap and start tracing out sensors and power???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-08, 09:41 PM

Re: 1996 EFI into rod - simplify harness

I've done just what you are doing; but with Delco electrics. Made 5 EFI retrofits so far.

It ended up being easiest to use donor car's diagrams and unwrap harnesses. Label each connector and remove tape and conduit. Peel out any unused wiring and bring all power feeds to one central point.

I felt same way about buying a harness when I already had everything from donor vehicle. The harness I ended up with was more well tailored to my car than a "generic" Painless harness in the end anyway.

You will find there are probably only 2 or 3 places that need power for it to run! All the other wiring is for accessories and options on the Mustang that you don't have or already have wired.

A friend and I are putting a Rochester / Delco TBI injection system on a 1944 flathead engine in a 1933 Ford Business Coupe as the latest project!

1984 Century Olympia, 3.0L Buick Turbo V6 / EFI
http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1
http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbokinetic
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-12, 09:30 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1996 EFI into rod - simplify harness

I've actually got something similar, it's a 73 Ranger on a 78 F150 drive train with a 5.0 out of a Mustang. Unfortunately, I didn't do the work. Who ever did the change cut back all of the wires not needed for the control of the engine... including the scanner port. I can find what pin numbers are what on the PCM, but I can't find what pins on the port go to where. Since Ford changes color codes from year to year and model to model, just yanking a port out of a junkyard is not necessarily going to clue me in. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU > ECU Forum