Expedition 4WD 5.4L Oil Filter Housing leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-18, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Expedition 4WD 5.4L Oil Filter Housing leak

Hi,
I am looking for advice on replacing an oil filter housing gasket on a 5.4L in a 2011 Expedition 4WD with 108K miles.
I purchased it with front end damage that is requiring a new radiator and AC condenser. I am replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses at the same time. It appears that the oil filter housing gasket has an oil leak. It sounds like this is a common issue on older 5.4L engines. I have watched a few You Tube videos on replacing the gasket but these have been on 2WD models. On mine, the front differential is is in the way and this looks difficult to do. I am looking for advice from someone that has done this on a 4WD model and if this possible without removing the differential or other components.
It almost looks like a leaking oil filter but it looks like it has been leaking for a while. The filter is tight and a oil service tag on the windshield states it's due for an oil change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bottom Up 1.jpg (96.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (68.3 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-19, 01:33 PM
FF.com Administrator

Re: Expedition 4WD 5.4L Oil Filter Housing leak

Maybe it's just because it's a photo but to be honest I don't see that much oil around there.

I have never replaced one of those housings but it does look as if there is some seepage from the filter. Are you sure the housing is leaking?.

I would try replacing the filter and make sure the old seal has come off with the old filter. Be sure the housing surface is clean and the new filter has had some oil put on the seal for lube and its fitted and tightened correctly.

Then clean that area with some degreaser and check if any oil leaks from anywhere.

Lance
71 429SCJ Mustang
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-19, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Block Ford. After looking around under this Expedition I miss working on my 1967 F100, 390, C6 tranny that I owned for 35 years and sold a few years ago. My photos don't show much oil but, it has run down and is fairly fresh on the pan. I need to get one of the flexable hose clamp tools and pull the radiator hose and then the oil filter. Since there is no radiator I can't run it long to test for leaks. If I need to replace the gasket I want to do it now while it is more accessible. After pulling the hose and filter I may be able to see better whats going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-19, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

I removed the oil filter and lower radiator hose. Now that I can see more, it looks like the lowest point on power steering pump has the freshest oil on it . It is still difficult to see where it may be coming from. The trail runs down and to the bottom of the oil pan. Does anyone know of a common issue/fix on 5.4L power steering pump leaks? I believe the source of the leak is being disguised by the air from the movement of the vehicle and cooling fans. The oil trail seems to be getting blown around instead of falling directly down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8121.jpg (98.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8122.jpg (75.3 KB, 1 views)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-19, 03:55 AM
Dazed and Confused

I've not seen any issues other than wear and tear, it is a pump after all. Since you are unable to run the engine to confirm, I have to ask, have you had to add fluid to the pump? The reservoir doesn't hold that much fluid so even a very small leak will have you adding frequently. Since the pump also runs without moving a lot of fluid most of the time, it can heat up quite a bit, expansion and contraction can cause fittings to start to leak, especially on the HP side of the pump. If it looks like the seals are intact on the pump shaft, look to the fittings. My experience with replacing pumps have been a crap shoot with getting a reliable replacement.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-19, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I cant run the engine for long since I don't have a radiator in it yet. I was hoping to take care of any leak before everything is back together. The power steering cooler is the top two channels in the AC condenser. It got a small puncture in it from the accident and drained the power steering reservoir. The pump was not making any noise while empty and was run minimuly while empty. I put a bypass tube on the lines and added fluid. The power steering works great. I agree that replacement PS pumps can be iffy in getting a good one. Maybe I will give everything a good degreasing and put it back together and drive it for a bit and deal with any leak later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum