Fuel Efficiency - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Traveller_2007
  • 1 Post By Eyefly12

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-19, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Efficiency

Recently purchased a 2014 Navigator Base 4WD. After a decent amount of research, I settled on the Navigator for it’s advanced interior features and towing capacity, despite the slightly degraded fuel economy. So, the “advertised” MPG in the Navigator brochure for 2014 is 13-City, 18-Highway and 15-Combined. I expected to be within a mile or so of these numbers. We are nowhere near them! I’m getting about 11mpg no matter what I do. This would be great with a travel trailer, but then, I get about 8 @ 55mph. I don’t live in a mountainous area. I’m only 3 miles from SE Kansas, so it’s FLAT here.
Checked with odometer and very closely matches the displayed average.
Is this normal?
I have spoken to a couple of people who have had Navigators in the past, and they thought they averaged about 16mpg, but I’m not sure how accurate that is, as none drive one currently.
Something must be causing this. I also have an ‘02 Avalanche that advertised 13/17mpg on the window sticker, & it does just about that to this day, so this is frustrating to me.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-19, 11:27 AM

Re: Fuel Efficiency

I had a similiar thing when I picked up my '07. The guy told me the mileage was terrible, and he was moving to a smaller SUV. First thing I started doing was when it hit the half-tank, I dumped in two cans of SeaFoam Gas Additive, and drove it on the Interstate and filled when it hit the quarter. I did this about twice and started noticing the changes, so I changed out the air filter and fuel filter. I am running around 19 on the highway, average is about 17. With that 5.4, I was happy, and it runs like a top, other than age related problem. Ron
CatSkinner likes this.
Old 04-23-19, 04:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: Fuel Efficiency

A lot of things to check, make sure filters are good, air to fuel ratio, plugs are good. If the previous owner treated it poorly, you may have to do some clean up to get her back into shape. How's the power?

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-19, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Update... I was recommended to a mechanic that was helpful. I have replaced spark plugs & air filter. Upon reading some info in my Haynes manual, it seems to indicate that the fuel filter, my next move, is integrated with and must be changed with the fuel pump.
I believe that I will try the Seafoam idea before going to that extent. (Thank you Traveler_2007(Ron))

Mechanic hooked me up to his computer & said all seemed to be good, but also recommended plugs, filters, etc. Well worth the $45 to know that there were no glaring issues. He was a former Ford dealer tech, and seemed to know his way around the systems and did a full reset of the onboard computers and checked for software updates as well.
Thank you for your replies. I have seen about a 1 mpg improvement with the plugs & air filter. Hoping for more!
Old 05-06-19, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

As this is my first 5.4L, I don’t know what to expect for power. I also drive a 2002 Avalanche, and was expecting it to be a little peppier than that, if for no other reason than being 12 years newer. It most definitely is not.
(Avalanche is a 5.3L 2WD with standard 4-speed automatic & 3.73 axel.)
Guess I will keep plugging away. So many things that I like about the Lincoln. If I can get the average mileage into the mid teens, I would be extatic!
CatSkinner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum