2004 Freestar heater core R&R How To - Page 5 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-27-18, 10:57 AM

Re: 2004 Freestar heater core R&R How To

First of all thanks so much for posting this great write up. I tackled this job on the weekend to replace the heater core in my parent's Freestar.

Only one problem, now the heat is working great but the problem is that all they get now is heat. No cool air or A/C. Just full heat. Does anyone know what may have happened? Did I maybe miss a connector or knock the blender door out of place or something? I thought I put everything back together correctly, so I'm a little stumped now and really don't want to have to take the whole dash off again.

What size threaded rods did people use? That seems like an easier way than taking off the whole heavy dash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-27-18, 03:38 PM
Dazed and Confused

Don't know the size, but if you pull a bolt holding the dash in place and take it down to the local hardware store, they should be able to match you up.

As far as constant heat, it does sound like a blend door. You'll have to retrace your steps.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-27-18, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

I don't know how much of a PITA it would be to work around the dash, leaving it on threaded rods since I never did that. For *ME* I like to get things out of the way when possible, especially when I'm unfamiliar with how things go. This opens up everything to get a good look at it all and make sure I do it right. Maybe I have said that before here, but I'm not going back to reread everything.
CatSkinner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-13-18, 07:31 AM

The dealership can do this in a couple hours or less, but you will be charged for the entire flat rate time- which I think is not fair esp when labor rates are 150/hr. Yes the mechanic needs to make money- but if I charge my employer for 12 hours for an 8 hours day work just because I did 12 hours work- that would not fly.

If you had surgery and the surgeon said "this will take 2 hours"- and it was much less complex and took 30 min, and you were charged for 2 hr anesthesia, 2 hr OR time, 2 hr of surgeons time, it would not fly. Only mechanics can get away with this- and itis not right. Before everyone jumps on me, I worked for a buick dealership to finance my way thru college so I know all the reasons behind it.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-13-18, 07:50 AM
2002 F150 XLT

A new guy would take longer than what's shown and they still pay the same. I'd rather have a tech that knows what to do. No matter how fast you eat a meal at a restaurant, you pay the same. I'm a retired mechanic and did the job quicker because that's the way I worked.
R.S.LOGAN likes this.

Bert
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-13-18, 08:58 AM
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsaz View Post
The dealership can do this in a couple hours or less, but you will be charged for the entire flat rate time- which I think is not fair esp when labor rates are 150/hr. Yes the mechanic needs to make money- but if I charge my employer for 12 hours for an 8 hours day work just because I did 12 hours work- that would not fly.

If you had surgery and the surgeon said "this will take 2 hours"- and it was much less complex and took 30 min, and you were charged for 2 hr anesthesia, 2 hr OR time, 2 hr of surgeons time, it would not fly. Only mechanics can get away with this- and itis not right. Before everyone jumps on me, I worked for a buick dealership to finance my way thru college so I know all the reasons behind it.
Dont come on here slagging off mechanics and dealerships without proof of your accusations . What did you do in the Buick dealership you allege you worked at , sales or parts ? You got any certificates of mechanical qualification from this dealership . How many years did you work there ? Do you realise how the standard time which the customer is charged is arrived at and is the same with any car manufacturer ? You come on to run down mechanics and Ford cars as in your other reply to a 4 yr old post which added nothing new and will shortly be deleted ? What are " all the reasons behind it " ?

Never, never, never give up.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-14-18, 07:08 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsaz View Post

Don't know where you're from or when you worked, but in the US there are guidelines based on manufacturers estimation as to how long it should take to perform a task. These guidelines aren't just in the auto industry, either and they do not take into account for seized parts that don't come loose or any aftermarket crap tossed into the mix. New York State laws also require the mechanics to abide by the recommended diagnostic times. If you went to a dealership, their hands are pretty much tied as to what they charge you. If it took them longer, but they still charged you the same, would you still be complaining about this?

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-10-19, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIDog View Post
Well, that's it. It' s not a hard job, but it can seem intimidating for some. Just take your time and lots of pictures, but really everything falls into place except the steering shaft. On that, you may need to wiggle the steering wheel a bit which is why i suggest leaving the key in the ignition and the steering wheel unlocked. you don't want to end up like me and struggling to get it back in there.

i have this saved in a PDF if anyone wants it, just let me know and I'll send it to you.

Hi, can you send me the PDF please. thanks
at: [email protected]
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-11-19, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulzar Hussain View Post
Hi, can you send me the PDF please. thanks
at: [email protected]

Sent..
Bert likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar