Power Steering issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-02-18, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Hev

Power Steering issues

About two years ago I was having steering issues, couldn't get an accurate diagnosis, some said the pump, some said the r&p. Turned out it most of the issue was the tires, and then the pump was replaced in June 17. I brought it back in the winter, April, and June because it was whining, each time a little bit more, warranty ended in June. The past couple weeks the whine has gotten worse and the steering was a bit stiff and not smooth on return, so I brought it back. The guy didn't want to replace it, said there was no leak, I said maybe it's not the pump, look around, he said he would flush it.

Two minutes after he returns the car and leaves I get in to go out and it's screeching, I try to turn the wheel and can't, look over and there's a rainbow coming out from under my car. I look under the hood and there is power steering fluid all over the car, I checked the reservoir to make sure the cap is on, it is, but the reservoir itself is a bit more loose than normal. I'm so upset, if I'm lucky he will take it tomorrow morning, but most likely not until next week.

So, I may be projecting, but my concern is the belt and pulleys soaked in fluid, will that cause damage, will they have to be replaced?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-02-18, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Hev

Re: Power Steering issues

The condition of your power steering fluid can also indicate something about the condition of the pump. The color of new fluid is clear, yellowish clear, and red with a distinctive odor. A whining sound along with fluid that has turned to a nasty gray color definitely indicates a problem with your pump.
If a bearing in the pump is going out, a dark gray color could result from fine metal shavings caused by the bad bearing mixing with the power steering fluid.

The above is exactly what was wrong this time, the whining and the fluid was grey, i thought it was my imagination.

I'm also curious as to how he was able to drive here and not have any issues.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-18, 04:02 AM
Moderators

A failed bearing on pump can cause it to partially seize up causing the noise , belt to slip and oil leak due to damaged oil seal . Apart from the oil on belt , it can be damaged with the slipping .

Never, never, never give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-18, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Hev

Please tell me I'm not crazy.

As I said the car has been whining since the pump was replaced in June 17, whine is worse now, wheel a little stiff. So I just called them to tell them what happened last night, they are saying it's now the R&P, that it's just sucking air, or something like that, that the pump was fine. I asked him how this happened, other than the whine and slight stiffness, and I really mean slight, I drive it everyday so I notice it, someone else may not, how did putting in a new pump destroy my R&P? He said it was drivable, I told him there's no fluid, it's all over my parking lot, he laughed like I was lying. He said he'll put in the old pump to get it the way it was. This is where I feel like I'm missing something, if it works the way it did before yesterday with the old pump, and it doesn't work now with a new pump, how is it the R&P?

Just checked the reservoir now that it's light out, it's full, but there is fluid all over it and in the surrounding areas.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-18, 06:07 AM
Moderators

Is this " R&P " you refer to the rack and pinion ? Really hard to be sure without seeing or hearing their side of the story but driving when knowing steering is defective is unsafe and probably illegal .From what you say , sounds as if you are getting messed about but not aware of all facts .

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-18, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Hev

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
Is this " R&P " you refer to the rack and pinion ? Really hard to be sure without seeing or hearing their side of the story but driving when knowing steering is defective is unsafe and probably illegal .From what you say , sounds as if you are getting messed about but not aware of all facts .

Yes, I am referring to the rack & pinion.

The mechanic says he worked on it for hours and could not understand why there was a problem, so he believes it's the rack & pinion, which was fine yesterday before he replaced the pump.

I spoke to two mechanics, one said that a new power pump would have more power and therefore make the rack work more and bring out any problems it might have had.

Another one said that there is no leak since the reservoir is full, that they night have just spilled the fluid and that's where the fluid is coming from. He also says that if the belt had fluid on it, (most of the noise is from the belt) it will cause the issue of the noise and not being able to move the wheel, and/or the new pump is defective, that he doubts it's the rack. This makes more sense.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-18, 06:37 AM
Moderators

" too many cooks spoil the broth " springs to mind with the number of people you seem to have involved with this .Hope you can get someone who can correctly diagnose and rectify the problem .

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-18, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Hev

The mechanic came, he brought a tow truck but decided to drive it instead. I'm not a weak person and I could not turn the wheel without fighting it, but he did.

So now I know he drove the car here the way it is, doing that and driving back, about 10 miles, is surely going to damage the other parts of the steering system, right?

So basically I'm screwed if I have to replace other parts, which worked fine yesterday, because he's making it worse?
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-18, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Hev

I'm going to post again on the off chance that someone will know what the next step is.

BTW, this is a 2000 Windstar.

I got the car back today, it is drivable, but very loud, and in low speeds the wheel is jumpy when turning. I only drove in in the parking lot.

To recap, when I brought it in there was a whine when turning at low speeds, slight stiff, now it's hard to turn and jumpy at low speeds, and very loud, embarrassingly loud.

He said he replaced the new pump with another new pump, same problem, right now the old pump is on, which is the better of the three.
He said he bled it a number of times. Bleeds fine, no air, no bubbles.
He said when the car is on the lift there is no noise and turning is very smooth.

So it just may be the rack, but again, why after he replaces the pump?
My other concern is, the engine again is filled with fluid, and it's dripping, I'm going to assume he put too much fluid in, but now all the parts are filled with fluid.

He used tranny fluid, I know some cars you can do that with, I'm not sure if you can with my car, so I wonder if that's why it's so bad now, I had, and always had actual power steering fluid, so the big question is could the tranny fluid be too heavy (it is significantly thicker than the PSF that was in the car) and not lubricant enough for the power steering system?
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-18, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Hev

Well the fluid is froth coming from the reservoir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar