F350 brake? help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford F-Series | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F-Series, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By R.S.LOGAN
  • 1 Post By CatSkinner
  • 1 Post By R.S.LOGAN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-19, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

F350 brake? help

Hey guys - 2013 F350 gasser w/ 116k miles, rear brakes have been squeaking for about a week & now the parking brake goes to the floor when I try to set it. Yesterday heard a couple light 'clunks' (coming from the rear somewhere). Pulled the wheels & inspected my rear brakes & the pads are still at ~75%. I've replaced the front & rear pads twice but not done anything else re: brakes, rotors, calipers, etc. No leaks or anything, truck is in very good condition overall. Any idea where to look?

2013 Ford F350 6.2L V8 gas

2017 Ford F550 Power Stroke Super Duty 6.7L diesel 14' landscape dump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-19, 06:07 AM
Moderators

Re: F350 brake? help

You checked the parking brake shoes for wear / adjustment ? Likewise with the cables for adjustment or sticking ?
Bert likes this.

Never, never, never give up.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-19, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

The shoes seem fine & cables seem OK as best I can tell. I pulled the rotor off & everything is in tact and parking brake shoes seem fine. The inside of the rotor is pretty rusted though. Not sure why it would all of a sudden start squeaking & occasionally "clunk"... Is it normal for the inside of the rotor to be rusted this bad?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rotor.jpg (160.6 KB, 9 views)

2013 Ford F350 6.2L V8 gas

2017 Ford F550 Power Stroke Super Duty 6.7L diesel 14' landscape dump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-19, 05:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

The inside of the drum is where the parking brake shoes land. Since typically the brake is engaged without the wheels moving, there's not much to keep it from oxidizing.With the parking brakd going to the floor, I'd be looking at the cable for failure and go from there.
Bert likes this.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-19, 03:49 AM
Moderators

Hard to see from the picture , but apart from the rust in drum it would appear the shoes are not bedding properly .You could also check the lever mechanism that moves the shoes is not seized . Normally with drum / disc off I would check the operation of cable was working the shoes and grease all contact points on back plate as well as linkage that moves the shoes ( if not seized ) as well as cleaning up inside drum . Also as already suggested , checkout cables .
Bert likes this.

Never, never, never give up.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-19, 07:49 AM
Moderators

This might not help your problem, but for general info, I apply my parking brake(s) lightly from time to time, on my cars and truck with shoe type parking brakes, as I come to a stop in my driveway. It seems to help keep the braking surface cleaner and rust free and helps the shoes "bed" in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-Series | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel