What's this? Another clone build? Oh jeez! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford SVT Lightning Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford SVT Lightning.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brewsky88

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-16, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

What's this? Another clone build? Oh jeez!

That's right ladies, I'm going to build a "clone." First things first, I have always loved and had a deep respect for true Ls, I would absolutely love to own one, however, my wallet tends to disagree. I am an avid drag racer and don't like the idea of potentially putting a limited edition into the wall and making the rest of them that much more valuable. So I'm going to build a clone, who cares if someone wrecks a worked over regular F-150 other than the owner, right? To be clear, I will not be "that guy" and slap "Lightning" badges on said truck giving people false assumptions. The fenders, tailgate and bed sides will be clean and clear of any badging except for the Ford oval. Now, onto the build plan. I have recently started seeing the Gen Is in a new light and love it. A co-worker has a 1995 single cab, short box, 2wd chilling in his back yard that he's selling to me for $1000. My best friend Nick is selling me the complete 5.0 engine minus harness out of his 2014 Mustang for the cost of his aluminum race block ($2700) that will end up getting an Edelbrock stage 1 supercharger setup. I'll be backing it up with a T-56 Magnum 6 speed rated to 700HP. Out back will be the limited slip Ford 8.8" with disc brakes in my garage that came from a junkyard Exploder, triangulated 4-link and tubs. Up front will be doing a street performance setup, leaning toward Belltech currently. Cosmetics will consist of a Lightning front fascia, cowl induction hood, shaved badges as mentioned earlier, tonneau cover and roll pan. Obviously there are plenty of other items that have not been mentioned such as the radiator, seats, harnesses, paint, wheels, tires, etc. Currently the only hold up is that the Mrs. won't let me start until I finish the '30 Model AA rat rod build that I'm in the middle of...she never said I had to sell it, hehehe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-29-16, 06:07 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: What's this? Another clone build? Oh jeez!

We demand picks on the progress!

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-16, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Re: What's this? Another clone build? Oh jeez!

Will do. Just have to get everything taken care of with the rat rod. Even though I can currently afford to have both builds going, pissing off the Mrs. and having to sleep in the garage with them would get a bit old and chilly.
CatSkinner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford SVT Lightning Forum

« hummm.... | - »