leaking moonroof gasket 2015 Taurus - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego Forum for the discussion of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, 2008+ models Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By fordophile
  • 2 Post By bevo44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-18, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

leaking moonroof gasket 2015 Taurus

The moonroof gasket on my 2015 Taurus leaks in a heavy rain. Began in 2015 as a leak only when going through a car wash. Gotten progressively worse. Dealer has cleaned drain lines twice in 3 years under warranty. Most of the time it is closed so debris is not the root cause. Is there an after market solution or can I adjust the fit within the roof cutout for better gasket contact?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-18, 04:51 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: leaking moonroof gasket 2015 Taurus

Check the gasket for cracks and signs of poor contact. If it looks like it should be seating, apply a very light coat of silicon grease to the gasket. It still shouldn't leak in the car, though if the drains are clear.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-18, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

The car is 3 years old. The gasket is in great shape. I first reported the leak to the dealer in month 1 of ownership. They tell me that all Ford prescribes is the cup of water leak test, and if it leaks, the drains are supposed to handle it. Not true when it leaks at such a high rate. I believe this maybe due to the big difference in gaps between the glass and sheet metal at the front and back opening in the roof. See the photos I attached. I am looking for advise on an adjustment or an aftermarket gasket that I can retrofit to the glass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0083.jpg (101.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0082.jpg (130.1 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-18, 06:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

I personally haven't dealt with a sunroof that new. My wife loves them, I hate them for your exact reason. All that aside, on older versions, you could loosen the tracks and shift the whole thing about that distance, O'd look to see if there's a fastener in an easy location to remove. Remove it and see if there is enough play in the mount to move it back.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-18, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your feedback CatSkinner, I will check it out this weekend and update this forum if successful with the adjustment!
CatSkinner likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-19, 10:58 AM

I had the exact same issue with my 2015 SHO, and it is an easy fix. In my case, I think the leak was allowed by buildup of wax and soap scum that accumulated around the liner. This prevented a tight seal, and water would find a path in every time it rained. My drains were clean, and sometimes water would exit through them. Other times (about 1/3 of the time) my inside ceiling liner would get soaked.

Regardless of the cause/origin of the leak, looking at the tracks for the sunroof, and it's easy to see the occasional cause. If the leak is above the track, then the water is diverted so that it never reaches the drain. It enters somewhere in the track (pic #1), does a U-turn at the front (pic #2), and then drips down on the headliner (pic #3). The solution is to drill a small hole in the plastic right at the front, where it makes the U-turn pic #4). This allows the water to drip out there, and move on to the drain.

Drilling these holes (one on each side) has been a 100% fix for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford 1.jpg (74.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Ford 2.jpg (73.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Ford 3.jpg (73.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Ford 4.jpg (81.7 KB, 3 views)
jwko and CatSkinner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego