swappin body shells - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-14, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

swappin body shells

hi everyone, I have a 64 landau bird in my barn with a good drivetrain and interior but a rough body. recently I found a 66 landau shell that has had all the major body work done and primed but the owner lost interest and it has sat in his garage for five years. are the 64 and 66 shells the same? will the front sheet metal, suspension and interior work in the 66? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-14, 07:51 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: swappin body shells

You may ave to drill new trim holes, but it seems that the sheet metal is the same.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-14, 05:40 PM

Exclamation Re: swappin body shells

64 and 66 are in the same generation, but there are some differences. Steering components are different on the 65-66 models from the 64. The spindles on the 65-66 are different because they use disc brakes. The front end sheet metal is unique to the 66, and would require major modifications for the 64 pieces to fit. While both your 64 and the 66 are Landaus, 66 is unique because it has the blind quarter roof, which means the headliner is different. The remainder of the interior is mostly bolt in, but the wiring differs slightly, the Ammeter circuit in the 64 was a sore point, most specifically at the firewall connections.

How bad is your 64's body? There are patch panels available for the most common spots on the 64-66 generation. 1/4's, trunk pans and sides, floor pans, etc. If it's really that bad, and the 66 your are looking at has all of the parts consider parting out the 64 and using the money earned towards the 66. Here's another forum specifically for T-Birds: Vintage Thunderbird Club International :: Index

Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-14, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

The 64 has the usual spots underneath (floors and trunk) gone. Not sure if this is common but the top of the rear fenders behind the roof are also rotted out.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-14, 10:35 PM

cool Re: swappin body shells

Quote:
Originally Posted by gddyup70 View Post
The 64 has the usual spots underneath (floors and trunk) gone. Not sure if this is common but the top of the rear fenders behind the roof are also rotted out.
Well that's the top of the 1/4 panels. The full height 1/4 available include the areas you describe.

1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-14, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. After you mentioned the front metal being different I got my brother to come over with his finished 66 thunderbird convertible and we put it beside the 64. There is quite a few small differences in the way the parts bolt together and it looks like this might be more trouble than I thought I would save. Besides, I need to finish a 52 international l160 that I am restoring, restore a 62 Chevy Apache for a friend and upkeep on my 70 mustang and 77 f100 before I can think of starting this bird.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-14, 05:41 PM

cool Re: swappin body shells

Quote:
Originally Posted by gddyup70 View Post
Thanks for the help. After you mentioned the front metal being different I got my brother to come over with his finished 66 thunderbird convertible and we put it beside the 64. There is quite a few small differences in the way the parts bolt together and it looks like this might be more trouble than I thought I would save. Besides, I need to finish a 52 international l160 that I am restoring, restore a 62 Chevy Apache for a friend and upkeep on my 70 mustang and 77 f100 before I can think of starting this bird.
You sure have allot on your plate! LOL... Well, whenever you take the plunge, the VTCI forum is a great source for info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Classic Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds