95 EL FAIRMONT - Starting to regret purchase - Page 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-15, 05:59 PM
Moderators

Re: 95 EL FAIRMONT - Starting to regret purchase

Location of relays courtesy of Ford Mods site

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-15, 06:08 PM
Moderators

And hang in there. There is a reason these cars were so often used as Taxi's; they are durable and replacement parts are relatively cheap and still readily available.

Regards Blue
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-15, 07:39 PM
Moderators

In any event , wipe a paper napkin or tissue across the bottom of the alternator case; if you get a pinkish brown stain power steering fluid has got into the alternator (usually terminal; a dismantle and clean will usually only give a temporary revival if any at all), if you get coolant (a burst hose will sometimes get the alternator) it will also usually be terminal but sometimes ,but not often, a dismantle, clean and replacement of the regulator will save it, if you get engine oil it's better news as is usually only a light contamination and a teardown, clean and new regulator will usually save it. Don't be tempted to try and clean the alternator without dismantling by saturating it with WD40, CRC or similar; it may temporarily revive it but it will also usually result in grease being washed out of the sealed bearing and ultimately failed alternator bearings. If there is no staining on the paper napkin and no other signs it has been contaminated with power steering fluid, oil or coolant you will have to test more thoroughly.

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-15, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Hey Aussi,

Thanks for your suggestions, it seems you're the only one with any. It doesnt LOOK like there's anything dripping onto the alternator just from looking at it from under the hood. All the hose clamps and hoses look in good condition and there doesnt seem to be any spills on the alternator that I can see.

I will try and wipe the bottom of the alternator and see what I can find but I'm not very hopeful. I will try and do this in the next few hours.

Btw, good to know you're not too far away. I'm in Canning Vale!

Cheers bud
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Well ive tried everything i possibly can. The car is still drawing over 3 amps with no key in the ignition. I tested all the fuses one by one. The ones in the car and the ones in the engine bay. No deal. I checked allthe relays in the car. No deal. Check the fuses under the coolant reservoir in the engine bay. No deal. Checked the 7 fuses in the engine Bay. Still points towards the "main" fuse. When i disconnect the main fuse theres no power drain. Checked the resistance on the alternator. Its running fine and charging. Disconnected bcm and tested drain - still there.

Im at the end now. I really dont know what to do next and its probably as far as ill go. Im Putting the car up for sale cheap tomorrow - suit auto sparky!

Anyway thank
thanks for your help guys
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 03:58 AM
Moderators

So even with the start relay removed it still draws 3 amps?

Regards Blue
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 04:01 AM
Moderators

Does it have an aftermarket alarm fitted? If so, check the wiring in the steering column shroud where it is grafted in has not grounded on the column.

Regards Blue
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 04:23 AM
Moderators

No glove box or boot light (fold rear seat down) on ?

Regards Blue
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Yeah no boot light or glove box on. Im not sure what you mean by start relay. Theres 7 fuses in the engine bay in a long black box. The fuse labeled "main 100a" is the one thats drawing 3 amps. When i remove that fuse (ie disconnect the white wires that plug into it from the battery) there is no longer a drain on the battery
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 04:41 AM
Moderators

Quote:
Im not sure what you mean by start relay
See the picture above; the start relay is grey one labelled "Start". BTW How are you measuring the amp drain?

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons