Buying an 88 EA S - Page 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-02, 07:07 PM

I dont know if you are asking or not but out of interest "series 1" EAs' never had trim on the doors and the centre console was different to later versions as it never had a lid. Just 2 of a few differences between series 1 and 2.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-02, 04:22 AM
E-Series Acting VP

Quote:
Originally posted by jbolger
man, a ford dealer offered me $1000 for my EA the other day. as some from melbourne have seen my car, im sure theyll vouch for me when i say its not as bad as a lot of EAs ive seen out there.

$5k for an EA seems pretty steep to me... my brother got a series 2 eb fairmont on gas for $6500.

What an idiot! Like Kenaz, I'll vouch for the condition of your EA. That guy wouldn't have been left standing if he'd suggested that to me....

BUT more importantly, why was he offering you money for your car??? Is someone planning an upgrade soon, perhaps?

Dave

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-02, 04:36 AM
-

i went out of pure curiosity mate, dont worry, i dont have the money to buy a new car!

T.I. Performance - Performance Tuning for your Ford. J3 Chips, DIY Tuning Kits, Wideband O2 Controllers and much more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-02, 04:48 AM
E-Series Acting VP

Quote:
i went out of pure curiosity mate, dont worry, i dont have the money to buy a new car!

Ahhh, say no more... I've been to my ford dealer 3 times in the last week to perv on the BA...

Dave

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-02, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thanatos

Ahhh, say no more... I've been to my ford dealer 3 times in the last week to perv on the BA...

Dave
Haha... I know what you mean! I have been driving a different way home from work most nights just to drive past Ethridge Ford to have a look at the sexy BA.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-02, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Damn problems with the thing, lucky i did get a mechanical inspection on it

Front left rear lower control arm bush - stuffed
Front right rear lower control arm bush (nolathane) - flogged
Rear brake pads - worn
Right rear tyre worn
Diff breather broken
Rear engine mount - stuffed
Rear main seal - leaking (dealer insists it was just replaced)
steering rack leaking
1 horn missing
Centre subframe bent
Body cracked at the seem at the bottom in the dog leg on both sides
K-frame bent - bashed on something
sump has been bashed on something
floor is bent - bashed on something
Rocker cover leaking oil
head leaking oil

a/c compressor seized, it worked about a week ago, today i turned it on and it made the loudest screeching sound i've ever heard from a car

Possible blown head gasket, the radiator overflow spills out at least over a litre of coolant when the engine has stopped. You can feel bubbles moving through the top radiator hose while its running. Has a slight miss and lacking power

I talked to the dealer, I got him down to $2500 plus the torana. I'm a bit iffy as to what I should do, one way it sounds like a bargain and in another it sounds like a shitload of problems to deal with and no money to play with it.

What does everyone else think?

Ed
Phat Drift Damaged Cobalt Blue 1994 EF XR8 5 spd
Fully optioned - Sunroof, cruise, body kit
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-02, 03:53 AM
E-Series Acting VP

A lot of those problems are VERY minor (diff breather, tyre, brake pads, horn, etc.) so I wouldn't worry about those...

Although, if it was me, I'd be a bit concerned about all the bends, cracks!?!, and bashes on the underside of the car. It'd be worth figuring out the extent to which it has all been damaged.

There are a couple of reasonbly big (i.e. expensive, if you're not able to do it yourself) jobs, also (head gasket, rear main, etc.).

But you've gotta expect problems with a car of this age. What I suggest you do, is ring around and get some ideas on what it'll cost to fix most of these problems, then add this to the purchase price, to figure out what it'll cost you all up to have the car, and then decide if you're willing to pay that much for it...

Hope this helps.
Dave

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-02, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Well I've already found another car, struck up quite a good deal actually. It's an EA sedan, shitty light blue in colour, built 1/91, CFI, 5 speed manual, duel fuel. Interior is nearly immaculate, but its the gay dark blue colour. Exterior it has roof racks, steel side skirts, rear spoiler, nudge bar, spotties, bonnet/headlight protectors, rear louvre. It has NC Fairlane wheels on it, brand new rubber on all 4 corners, camber kit aswell. It's had a new clutch, new control arm bushes, new radiator, a/c totally fixed up, new brake pads all within the last year, seen the receipts of proof.

The whole car is in pretty good nick, there is a ding and a bit of surface rust but nothing $300 wont get rid of. But its a really shitty gay colour.

Here are some pics of it, quality is pretty crap tho, the pic was taken with a digi cam, then printed out on normal paper, then scanned into my computer.

http://hometown.aol.com.au/XplodEd%20EA/EAFalconGL.jpg
http://hometown.aol.com.au/XplodEd%20EA/EAFalconGL2.jpg
http://hometown.aol.com.au/XplodEd%20EA/EAFalconGL3.jpg

Ed
Phat Drift Damaged Cobalt Blue 1994 EF XR8 5 spd
Fully optioned - Sunroof, cruise, body kit
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-02, 03:54 AM

those mags look pretty nice on that falc, and yeah, that light blue interior is really shitty looking. how much is it?
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-02, 05:10 AM
E-Series Acting VP

It doesn't look too bad... if you don't want the louvre, roofbars, nudge-bar, etc. you can always sell them to make a little extra money.
There's a lot of potential there, though...

As for the colour, I've only seen it twice before: Once on my Dad's old EA and another time on an EA at a car yard - BOTH cars used to be Queensland Police cars. Do you know the history of yours??

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons