Getting my EA tomorrow - What should I know? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-02, 12:03 AM
Cuahtemoc

Getting my EA tomorrow - What should I know?

G'day - this is my first post on these forums. I'm getting my first proper car tomorrow, a 1990 EA 5sp Man CFI Station wagon. Is there anything I should know about these cars in particular? This one has done 120,000 k's, serviced every 3-5 000 k's, and it sin really good condition. I'm going from a 1978 Corona to this, so what difference s can I expect? I know it will be more expensive to run, but have no idea how much, etc. Any info you guys can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks,
Cuahtemoc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-02, 12:46 AM
400 kg ego

Welcome to the forums! The car sounds great matey! The manual EAs are very underrated cars.

Can't comment much on running costs - parts are far more plentiful than they are for any Toyota, so they are generally very well priced. Fuel costs should prove decent for the size of the car.

I hope the head gasket has been attended to already - otherwise it might be an issue in the future. Otherwise, I expect the ownership experience will be very positive.

Jack Travis, E-Series Acting President

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-02, 12:52 AM
96 EF Futura

Actually I have found fuel consumption to be really good for the size of the car

I drove from Brisbane to Northern NSW ( 280km trip ) and I used just over 1/4 of a tank!

and that wasnt complete grandma driving either

you can expect more comfort, more room, smoother ride

these cars are best kept well maintained ( service etc )
all cars are but with an old corona etc it doesnt really matter if you miss a service here or there...but its definately recommended to keep these things serviced.

Lets go find that Hotdog tree I planted

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-02, 01:10 AM
Cuahtemoc

Sounds good. I'm buying it in the hope of going on some major interstate drives around the end of the year/start of next year, so fuel consumption was a bit of a worry for me. If they're as efficient as you say though, I should be right

As far as servicing goes, I'm going to attempt to keep up the good service record this car has had; it will be a shock going from the corona which ran without S.F.A. oil for a little while and never really complained to the Ford, but hopefully I'll be right.

Asking around, it seems most people prefer the MPI engine for its added power; is it very expensive/much to do to change it over? I'm a complete noob to mechanics, so it would probably be easier for me to get it done by a mechanic. What would it cost/what benefit would I get?

And thanks for your replies guys, looks like this is a good motoring forum ;-)

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-02, 01:29 AM
400 kg ego

You'll find countless threads on the MPI conversion in the Technical and Modifications forums. :)

Jack Travis, E-Series Acting President

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-02, 02:57 AM
NZ
feed me hey

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuahtemoc

Asking around, it seems most people prefer the MPI engine for its added power; is it very expensive/much to do to change it over? I'm a complete noob to mechanics, so it would probably be easier for me to get it done by a mechanic. What would it cost/what benefit would I get?

Some people have done had it done and worked uot to be very expensive amd at the other end, some others have done it very cheaply. In my experience, It cost $176 for the parts and I did the changeover myself.

Find yourself a good mechanic who wants to do the job and it will make things easier. As soon as a mechanic groans or trys to tell you its a big job, just get out of there. There are some real monkeys out there and its really just buyer beware.

Dot Aye You
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-02, 04:26 AM
Birth, Drift, Death...

hmm, if you are going to change over to the MPFi manifold (which i believe you should wait until you have had your car for a while, then decide if it needs more guts/more money spent on it) then i reckon you should get the variabl length intake manifold from a later model EF or EL, you will have to change a few sensors and things, and work out how to make the butterfly in the manifold change at the right revs, but that would be even better then the MPFI conversoin, at not too much extra cost...

Luke (lukeyn039 i think his nick is) has done this conversion on his car, and im sure he would be more than willing to offer advice on the subject.

congrats for buying a Falcon anyway, it should stand you in good stead.

Slick, Quick and Fulliii SIK!!!
Proud TQE Operator

197.4hp at the wheels, [email protected]/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-02, 04:42 AM
Cuahtemoc

Yeah, it wasnt something I was going to do as soon as I got it; I'd like to see how it goes for a month or two first. I'm sure it will be better for interstate trips than my Corona as it is though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons