Power issues with the EA Falcon... please help me! - Page 3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-01-04, 12:30 AM

Re: Power issues with the EA Falcon... please help me!

the fuel filter is under the front passenger floor. It's pretty hard to miss(just follow the fuel lines, and it's just held on by clamps. I'll let someone else explain how to remove it, as i copped a face full of petrol.

The throtle cable is the black one going over the middle of the rocker cover. Follow that, and you will find you throttle body. Check it for cracks and shit too.. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-01-04, 05:59 AM
jjj

Hi Dude,

I once a had a CFI EA Falcon and it too was gutless. A few things that improved it's performance was to get the 4spd auto serviced. It seemed to have a habit(tranny) after 20min to go into limp home`mode and the car would have no power as it is stuck in 3rd. Have you tried manually shifting it through gears, does it improve performance? A stretched accelerator cable too will also give you poor throttle response. Also check the ignition timing, advancing it by 4 degrees does make a significant acceleration improvement(run it on premium though).

I converted my car to multipoint about 4months ago, so much more power now. You should really consider this mod if you what to kick 4cyl toyota's. Hope this was some help but the old CFI and 4spd auto just don't really put out that much power until you get it above 60km. Thats why multipoint is the go, drive a multipoint car and you will notice a huge difference in acceleration off the line.

Cheers Luke.

1997 EL Ford Fairmont.

1 Owner vehicle,
78000km's on the clock (12-1-05),
Showroom condition with all the fairmont goodies,
Metallic Silver.
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-01-04, 06:04 AM
Pimpin the chrome

Whats with your brake booster DPK83? looks like its falling apart

1991 Ford Falcon EA 30th Anniversary

EF head | EF XR6 Cam |Pacemaker 3320(?) extractors | Hiflo cat
3:23 | Auto | XH Snorkle | Thermos | 2.5" Mandrel Exhaust
Full NC2 Sportsman Interior inc Dash & Electrics
Custom Clear Tailights and Garnish
Sprint kit | Moffat front bar (soon) | king lows
FTR Chrome Rims | Driving lights | Custom ED Mesh grill
Pioneer of the Clear ED tailights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-01-04, 06:09 AM
Moderators

Quote:
4 Speed Auto's don't have bands, they are electronically controlled
Yes BTR 4 speed autos have electronic solenoid valves to control shift feel etc but they also DO have front and rear bands just like most autos and just like most they need periodic adjustment.

Regards Blue
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-01-04, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj
Hi Dude,

I once a had a CFI EA Falcon and it too was gutless. A few things that improved it's performance was to get the 4spd auto serviced. It seemed to have a habit(tranny) after 20min to go into limp home`mode and the car would have no power as it is stuck in 3rd. Have you tried manually shifting it through gears, does it improve performance? A stretched accelerator cable too will also give you poor throttle response. Also check the ignition timing, advancing it by 4 degrees does make a significant acceleration improvement(run it on premium though).

I converted my car to multipoint about 4months ago, so much more power now. You should really consider this mod if you what to kick 4cyl toyota's. Hope this was some help but the old CFI and 4spd auto just don't really put out that much power until you get it above 60km. Thats why multipoint is the go, drive a multipoint car and you will notice a huge difference in acceleration off the line.

Cheers Luke.
Hey there Luke thanks for the info!
How much did it cost you to get the auto serviced? I'm just a little short on cash at the moment so I would rather try and do as much of the work myself as possible.
My accelerator cable could be the main cause as I had a little look at it this afternoon and it seemed to be in poor condition.
What is this ignition timing you are talking about and how do I advance it?

I would like to convert mine to MPFI also but I'm guessing it would be a real pain in the arse not to mention very costly.
Could you run me through the basics in how I can go about addressing these problems as I'm not much of a mechanically minded person.

I'm still trying to find the fuel filter, I checked under the passengers side door but couldnt see anything.

Thanks!
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-01-04, 06:38 AM
jjj

Ok your fuel filter will be up near the rear wheel on the passager side. The 30th EA models had relocated fuel filters. It will probably be pop rivited in so you may need to drill out the rivits and put some new ones in. Go buy yourself a Gregorys manual for EA falcons. It will set you back $30 from supercheap auto but it explains to you everything you need to know. For example pictures of where the fuel filter is, how to adjust your timing, how to check and/or replace your throttle cable. It is user friendly and is written to be used by home mechanics.

The auto was about $160 for a full service. that includes band adjustments, new oil, new gaskets and mesh screen etc.

Cheers Luke.

1997 EL Ford Fairmont.

1 Owner vehicle,
78000km's on the clock (12-1-05),
Showroom condition with all the fairmont goodies,
Metallic Silver.
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-01-04, 09:23 AM
"Steve has a car?"

MPFI conversion isn't very costly if you do it yourself, and not overly hard. There's enough information on this forum and enough resources to help you get through it. From a wrecker, the parts should amount from about $200-$250. IMO all EA/EB CFI setups should be burnt.

Have you tried any of our suggestions yet?

post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-03-04, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
Whats with your brake booster DPK83? looks like its falling apart
lol.. It's just a bit of rust.
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-11-04, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Hey everybody sorry I havent replied in awhile I've had no internet access for the last week or so.

Anyway, what I've done to my EA Falcon in the meantime;
I've replaced the spark plugs, changed the oil, air and fuel filters.
It seams to be running a little better now but I'm convinced theres still more power I can unlock in it by tuning it more.

I had a look at the accelerator cable and it looks damaged plus the accelerator pedal feels loose. I guess I need to replace the cable but I dont know how to do it, could somebody please explain how I can go about doing it?
Also I might need to service the transmission. I cant seem to find the place where I can add more automatic transmission fluid in the engine bay. I can see the dipstick but I cant identify where I can add more fluid.
Can anybody help me out on this one please?

Thanks!
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-11-04, 03:40 AM
No longer around

you add the fluid in the dipstick tube, i guess thats why its so large.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons