Power issues with the EA Falcon... please help me! - Page 4 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-11-04, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Re: Power issues with the EA Falcon... please help me!

Oh ok. I didnt know it goes into the dipstick tube, I always thought it worked similar to putting oil in where it had a separate opening.

By the way I forgot to mention, something has been really bothering me lately about my car.... the engine temperature. The temp guage keeps going quite high after using the car for a certain period of time.
I mean I had this problem when I first got the car but after I changed the coolant and air filter the engine ran quite cool and seemed to stay in the lower normal engine temp area.
But up until recently now my engine temp guage keeps going higher up in the normal area almost hitting the dangerous level.
I changed the oil, oil filter and spark plugs in an attempt to rectify this problem but it still gets hot.

I mean the engine temp runs quite cool for around 10 mins but then starts getting hot really quick after that. The coolant is still full in the radiator and the fan is working so I have no idea why this is happening.

If anybody has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-11-04, 03:58 AM
Chasing down oil leaks...

Possibly a stuffed thermostat?

Does it just keep going up or does it go up and down, up and down?

Dan..

1988 EA Falcon Pearl Green
Head gasket replacement count - 1

post #33 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-11-04, 04:00 AM

try replacing your thermostat.. Mine did the same thing, but opposite. It wouldn't heat up! They're cheap, and also easy to replace.

also, check your oil cap isn't looking milky...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-11-04, 04:01 AM

lol, Axeman.. What do they say about great minds.
post #35 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-11-04, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman82
Possibly a stuffed thermostat?

Does it just keep going up or does it go up and down, up and down?

Dan..
It fluctuates. Starts off very cold for around 7 mins of driving then starts going up slowly till it gets pretty high but it does go down and up, sometimes it will go from being really hot to more cooler.
Its not the thermostat playing up because when the guage indicates the engine temp is really hot I park the car and can smell something burnt coming from the engine bay so I'm guessing it really is hot.
post #36 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-11-04, 04:33 AM
"Steve has a car?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj_jaypee
It fluctuates. Starts off very cold for around 7 mins of driving then starts going up slowly till it gets pretty high but it does go down and up, sometimes it will go from being really hot to more cooler.
Its not the thermostat playing up because when the guage indicates the engine temp is really hot I park the car and can smell something burnt coming from the engine bay so I'm guessing it really is hot.
Do you know what a thermostat is?? Sounds like you think it's a sensor of some sought. It's actually like a valve that opens and closes depending on engine temperature. It stops the water circulation and periodically releases it back into the radiator so that the engine can warm up rather than running cold all the time. When a thermostat is buggered, the water can often be released "too late" if you will, and causes the engine to get into the "danger" zone before it recirculates the water and the temp goes back down, hence you get fluctuating temperature. So i would put my money on a buggered thermostat....

The burning smell could simply be a slight oil leak burning on the engine block or similar...

post #37 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-11-04, 04:54 PM
EA-S MPI 5-Speed

check that your headgasket hasnt gone. (look for milky white crap under oil filler cap) and yeah check the thermostat. new one isnt expensive and its good peice of mind to know if u get a new one u wont have that issue for a while again

post #38 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-11-04, 05:16 PM
'90 EA-II Fairmont

accellerator/throttle cable is easy...

engine side remove the retaining clip with some needle nose pliers (Dont lose it!), unscrew the plastic part (at the end of the spring) and remove that end from the throttle body area

in car, undo the nuts holding the accel pedal on (13mm i think? you may need to put the socket on then the extension as the bolts are fairly long) pull out accel pedal, then using pliers again remove the black and yellow plastic clips from their retainers...

then pull the whole cable out by pulling the engine side into the car thru the firewall.

Installation is the reverse or removal, put it all in from the inside of the car..

Rosewood EAII Fairmont 02/90. MPFI 3.9L (formerly CFI), 4spd BTR Auto. Skyline geared 3.45g open center 28 spline 4 pinion differential & axles. 2 1/2" Cat Back Exhaust. King Super Low Springs. Sound: Equalization and amplification by Clarion; Head unit by Sony, Front, Rears and Sub by Pioneer. Planned mods - t5, Extractors, Painting Grey Strips and new front and rear bar.
post #39 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-15-04, 09:40 PM

If your car is running hot then its gonna be a pig to drive and is gonna guzzle fuel as well , I'd look at the radiator first , quite possibly blocked . If your oxy sensor is pretty old it might be a good idea to replace that as well . Nothing sucks off power more then a car thats running hot and rich.
post #40 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-16-04, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Hey fellas whats been happening?

Okay today I finally got around to replacing the thermo stat. But not before I took the car out for a drive so I'm not sure if it has done anything because the engine temp still gets quite hot.
I'll have to find out tomorrow whether getting the new thermo stat actually worked.
If not, what else could be the problem? The radiator shouldnt be blocked as I flushed it out with a hose not long ago.

Whats an oxy sensor and how do I replace one?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons