Power issues with the EA Falcon... please help me! - Page 7 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-25-04, 03:40 AM
'90 EA-II Fairmont

Re: Power issues with the EA Falcon... please help me!

**** me, the gain between CFI and MPFI is massive!

Rosewood EAII Fairmont 02/90. MPFI 3.9L (formerly CFI), 4spd BTR Auto. Skyline geared 3.45g open center 28 spline 4 pinion differential & axles. 2 1/2" Cat Back Exhaust. King Super Low Springs. Sound: Equalization and amplification by Clarion; Head unit by Sony, Front, Rears and Sub by Pioneer. Planned mods - t5, Extractors, Painting Grey Strips and new front and rear bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-25-04, 04:24 AM
jjj

How does the car kick down at 60km/hr when you stamp out the pedal. My cfi would go quite well but from 0-60 it was fairly gutless. MPI has changed that. Drive a mpi car whether an EA-ED and compare the power differences. When I drove my dads EB fairmont work car i noticed an instant power increase just touching the pedal. After doing the conversion my car had the same feeling, so i knew I had done it right.

Cheers Luke.

1997 EL Ford Fairmont.

1 Owner vehicle,
78000km's on the clock (12-1-05),
Showroom condition with all the fairmont goodies,
Metallic Silver.
post #63 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-25-04, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

My CFI Falcon is fairly gutless all way round and its bumming me out.
I really crave more power cause I'm so used to driving my previous car which was a VS Berlina and that was fast, it was only a v6 auto but if I planted my foot down I could get wheelspin happening.
I'm thinking of getting a uni air filter and new exhaust system installed in my Falcon.
Also thinking about switching over to MPFI but I seriously dont have a clue how I would do it, I've asked around also and cant seem to find any places that can do it for me.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-25-04, 11:09 PM
{';'}

Yep! Do it yourself! A million and one tutorials spread across these forums. Do that before anything else.

BTW, what happened with the VS, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
post #65 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-25-04, 11:35 PM
"Steve has a car?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj_jaypee
My CFI Falcon is fairly gutless all way round and its bumming me out.
I really crave more power cause I'm so used to driving my previous car which was a VS Berlina and that was fast, it was only a v6 auto but if I planted my foot down I could get wheelspin happening.
I'm thinking of getting a uni air filter and new exhaust system installed in my Falcon.
Also thinking about switching over to MPFI but I seriously dont have a clue how I would do it, I've asked around also and cant seem to find any places that can do it for me.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Were are you located?? Your not gunna find any mechanics that are willing to do MPFi conversions, and if you do, they'll charge a fair bit. Do the conversion yourself, as Xrated said there are many topics on here covering this. The parts shouldn't be overly expensive either (from a wrecker ofcourse), around the $250 for a 20kw increase in power :)

Once you install MPFI, it'll open a whole new area of mods that you can explore...

Also, you can look into things such as a shorter diff ratio. Since yours is a 4 speed, your not limited as much as if you had a 3 speed, and could prolly go pretty high, but your fuel economy will go down.

post #66 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-26-04, 12:07 AM

Before you go heading off with MPFI conversions, exhausts, uni filters (sic) diff changes and all, that crap, make sure all the basics are working properly on your car.

Plugs, leads, filters, timing, cap & rotor, injectors, fuel pump, battery, cooling system, exhaust, clean terminals plus loom and wiring connections may not be sexy, but if all the basics aren't working correctly, getting into add-ons are just like painting a greasy wall.
And make sure your tyres aren't half flat as well.
post #67 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-26-04, 03:50 AM
No longer around

Rawlinna, if you bothered to read the post he has done almost all of the things you listed.
post #68 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-26-04, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Yep! Do it yourself! A million and one tutorials spread across these forums. Do that before anything else.

BTW, what happened with the VS, if you don't mind me asking?
I had to write it off.
Story cut short, basically was driving home one day from work and the sun was in my eyes. Could hardly see a damn thing, next thing you know theres rubbish on the road like bricks or something so I dont know why but I suddenly swerved to try and avoid them without thinking.
Lost control and ploughed straight into the curb, spun a 180 and the front end smashed into a tree on somebody's properly.
I was unhurt but that was some scary shit! People came out and had a look some helped me but there really wasnt anything I could do.
The bonnet had caved in so I had to get it towed away. The tree was okay though only had some bark taken off it.

Anyway, with the Falcon first I need to confirm something with anybody else who has a CFI EA Falcon.
Does it take you 9.7 seconds to get from 0-60km/h???
This evening I took my car out and timed myself on an open road from standing still to 60km/h and that was painfully slow!
My friends Daihatsu Charade can do 0-100km/h in like 15 seconds or so.
There either must be something very wrong with my Falcon or the 3.9lit CFI motor is just rubbish.
I didnt bother trying to time my car doing 0-100k/h but can anybody else confirm whether their falcon (similar to mine) is as slow?
post #69 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-26-04, 07:06 AM
Sandwich Connoisseur

Yup, that's definately slow.

1993 ED Futura

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
post #70 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-26-04, 07:26 AM
FPVWEPN

fuk me dead 9.7 secs ???? an olympic sprinter would give u a run for ur money!!!! sell the car get another 1

95' EF Futura 5-SPEED MANUAL
Alpine,Pioneer,JBL,MTX Stereo
King Springs Superlows, K-mac camber-castor kit, colour coded interior, AU3 Xr8 Snorkle, K&N pod Filter, Deribbed Air Box, AutoLite Plugs, JMM Race Series Headers, High flow cat, 2.5 inch Redback exaust, 3" stainless steel intake, dev 5 cam, rollmaster timing gear, crow valve springs, stainless steel valves, dev 5 head, au headgasket, 4.11 LSD "174 rwks!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons