FG XR6 N/A need help with deciding on an exhaust - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-17, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

I've done some research and watched some videos but I'm still not sure on what I should do. I've got a bone stock 2013 XR6 being repaired and I want an exhaust that will give it a nice deep tone without it being too loud or droning a lot. What would it sound like if I replaced the first and second mufflers from the back with 2 12" hotdogs? I might think about power gain mods later down the track but nothing to serious.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UVHG5TgOIBo

I was looking at something similar to this but with a deeper note when reving. Approx what decibel do you guys think this exhaust is.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-17, 05:06 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: FG XR6 N/A need help with deciding on an exhaust

I don't think you're going to get much deeper than that. Resonators may help, but I don't know if they make them for 2 1/2".

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-17, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
I don't think you're going to get much deeper than that. Resonators may help, but I don't know if they make them for 2 1/2".
So if I replace the 2 rear mufflers wit hotdogs it should sound similar to this? There already is a stock resonator/small muffler just after the cat how would that affect it? I Appreciate the help.

I just listened to the vid I linked again with headphones, that's how deep I want it. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-17, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
You are right. Just had a listen with headphones. So if I replace the 2 rear mufflers with 12" hotdogs it should sound similar to this? There is a small muffler/resonator? After the cat will that affect it in anyway? I appreciate the help.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-17, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

My phone is screwing me. Sorry about the double post.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-17, 02:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: FG XR6 N/A need help with deciding on an exhaust

Up until now, I never really looked for after market resonators, turns out they do exist and you can get them in 2 1/2. I have a Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.8SC under the hood. The exhaust uses a 2" resonator in series with 1 7/8" mufflers. The primary purpose of the resonator in this application is to deepen the tone. Across the street from me is a 2012 Mustang with a 5.0, at idle, it's hard to tell the difference between the two. However, when you get on them, you then can hear the difference. My 3.8 still sounds muscular, but the 5.0 does have 2 extra cylinders. I found an article that explains some of the differences, maybe it'll help.

Resonator or Muffler: What is the difference? | AmericanMuscle

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-17, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm planning on replacing the 2 rear mufflers with hotdogs and change it up from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust