Brake pressure reduction valves on rear wheels - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-14, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Brake pressure reduction valves on rear wheels

Hi!

I am not a Ford owner myself, but being "the car guy" among my friends and recklessly helpful at times, I agreed to fix the broken rear brakes on my friends Ford Mondeo 1997 station wagon (2.0i, BNP, European). This got me cornered with one rather rookie question: Which way does the pressure reduction valves on the rear wheels go?

Basically, one of the rear brake lines had failed and both were hopelessly rusted (where they go above the gas tank, over the rear axle, and to the brake hose at the wheel), so I was just going to replace the lines. However, on the brake lines, just above the rear axle, there were a couple of pressure reduction valves, one per wheel. I couldn't get the brake line ends off due to all the rust and crap, and actually broke one of them trying to unscrew things. No big deal, got a new pair cheap on eBay.

Only problem now is I don't remember which way they go, and can't find the pictures I took of it a few weeks ago when I got them out. I do remember something about "the bigger end forward" (as in connecting to the master cylinder up front), but I don't remember if it was the bigger outer part, or the bigger thread.

If you look at the attached picture, the top part is a bit bigger, but has M10x1 thread. The lower more narrow part has M12x1 thread. And I imagine it won't work too well if I have it backwards. Can someone enlighten me on which way it should go (which end connects to the line to the front of the car, and which end connects to the caliper at the wheel), to give me better odds than 50/50?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-06-10 20.28.52.jpg (44.5 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-14, 06:25 AM
Moderators

Re: Brake pressure reduction valves on rear wheels

This is all I can find with a quick search , might help .

Mondeo Brake Bias Valve Orientation?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-14, 06:51 AM
Moderators

http://www.ford.agroservise.ru/manua..._ford_eng_.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-14, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Both the forum thread and that haynes manual seem to cover a different version of the Mondeo (the earlier Mk I), and they have the pressure control relief valve (as it is referred to by Haynes) on the master cylinder or the abs unit.
That valve has one male end and one female end (which sort of decides which way it goes, the male end fits in the master cylinder and the female end the brake line).
On the Mk II (at least on models with rear disc brakes as is the case with this one), the valve is mounted inline on the brake lines, sitting above the rear axle.

One thing that can possibly be a hint is that the hexagonal part with the female thread (on the Mk I) is the one that leads to the wheel, and that might be the case here as well. Maybe.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-14, 03:11 PM
Moderators

Looked through a bundle of old workshop manuals I have in a shed but you've guessed , none for your vehicle .Might be grasping at straws , but in this picture does it not look like an arrow above letters indicating fluid flow in this picture of valve ? If so looks like flow goes toward towards the nut / pipe end .

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzAwWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqJ,!hQFBrh)LDeHBQinzVMShw~~60_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzAwWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqJ,!hQFBrh)LDeHBQinzVMShw~~60_57.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzAwWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqJ,!hQFBrh)LDeHBQinzVMShw~~60_57.JPG
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-14, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

That looks exactly like the ones I got (and the part number seems familiar). I didn't see anything looking like "flow direction" markings on them, but I will give it another look.

The signs do point at the "hex nut end" being the one leading to the caliper ("output"). I found one of the old ones, and the brake line into the round / M12 end has a 25cm U-shape on it, to flex with movement. It doesn't make much sense to have it on the "output" side since it is just a short run to the very flexible brake hose, but on the "input" side there is a very long run of line over the gas tank that could flex a bit. At least that's my theory on it, and it does fit my vague memories of taking it apart earlier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar