Jump start issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-17, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

confused Jump start issues

I have a 99 Mercury Mystique. It's my wife's car. She forgot the headlights on and killed the battery. She found this the next day when she had to go to work. We did a quick jump start and away she went. However now the rear defroster doesn't work and the AC pump doesn't work. The fuses are good. I'm not sure what to check next or if there are fuseable links somewhere. We were thinking of disconnecting the battery for a period of time to see if this "resets" something. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-17, 06:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: Jump start issues

I didn't catch any commonalities between the two, but I have some schematics to help you figure it out.
1of4.JPG

2of4.JPG

3of4.JPG

4of4.JPG

AC1of3.JPG

AC2of3.JPG

AC3of3.JPG

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-17, 07:29 PM
2002 F150 XLT

Also, try unhooking the battery for 30 sec. and see if that helps.

Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-17, 07:44 PM

If the battery truly ran all the way down you already know what disconnecting it will do, the same thing.

If a jump only and nothing else done, likely the battery is still barely charged, Ford claims it can take 8 solid hours charging with the alt only to get it it back where it needs to be, and that is if the battery did not damage from the total rundown, some do to go bad.

FULLY charge and then loadtest the battery. Both the defroster grid and a/c clutch use whopping amounts of power; they both may not have quite enough to work right.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-17, 08:39 PM
2002 F150 XLT

Sometimes a jump start will trigger the ECM to get misconfigured. After the battery is charged, unhooking it can straighten things out

Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar