My 1988 ea Falcon wont start please help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Australian Ford's Discussion For Discussing Aussie built Ford's. Falcon, FPV, Territory

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-16, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation My 1988 ea Falcon wont start please help

I got my ea Falcon of a mate I drained the fuel tank changed the spark plugs and got a new battery but it still wont start please help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-16, 06:04 PM
Moderators

Re: My 1988 ea Falcon wont start please help

Does the engine turn over? i.e does the starter run? Can you hear the fuel pump run (it is in the top of the fuel tank)?

Regards Blue
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-16, 06:14 PM
Moderators

Aha you didn't state the "it turns over" bit here. How long since the fuel filter was changed? Is there a strong spark at the plugs (take one out and earth it on something to see if there is a spark - also see if the plug smells of fuel while you are at it)? Coils frequently fail on these cars and they need a very strong spark to start so check with something like this CAR Auto Adjustable Ignition Coil Tester Plug Spark Wire Switch Circuit Tool | eBay that you have a spark at the plugs that will jump at least an inch.

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-16, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage

yeah it turns the fuel pump runs but it wont start. I checked for a spark but there wasn't one they did smell like fuel though. why might this be though
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-16, 08:28 PM
Moderators

If the plugs smell of fuel it's an indication that the cylinders are getting fuel but no ignition spark. I would check the coil first; they are the most common cause of this fault. See if you get a spark if you insert an old spark plug with the gap at 1.5 mm in the end of the lead from the coil (the one that connects to the distributor cap). Also check for key on engine off fault codes (see http://codes.rennacs.com/plugins/For...OEO-Falcon.php) your car might be able to tell you what is wrong with it. This thread on the Oz Forum might also be helpful https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=83705

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion