Heater Core/ Heater Control Valve - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-17, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Heater Core/ Heater Control Valve

I have a 1981 Ford Courier (which I call Chuck) who has been giving me some serious problems in the heater core department.

I have been dealing with this issue for some time now and in the summer i take both hoses off and bypass the heater core with a radiator flush kit i picked up, then i don't have to worry about coolant on my floor boards, but the winter comes my windows freeze (as do I) and i end up hooking it back up to deal with this issue again.

The main problem i'm running into is that the leak doesn't look like its coming from the core but the control valve which is mounted on to the heater core. I think its removable but I'm really not sure. I have tried to find replacement valves but it doesn't look like they make them anymore. I haven't gone digging into it yet but the heater core is almost complacently exposed (don't have to rip the dash apart) and i'm trying to find a cheap fix for this. I can buy a replacement heater core on rock auto for 60 bucks but the pictures don't show any valve.

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is, has anybody else had this problem, and if so what did you do to fix it? Hell i'll take any input people might have on this outside of crushing poor Chuck (I'm attached to my little truck). I just want to be done with this once and for all

Thanks

74HP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-17, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Re: Heater Core/ Heater Control Valve

You could always remove the valve and/or replace the heater core and put a open/close valve in the heater hose.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-17, 07:36 PM
Administrator

I've looked up part numbers, cross referenced and finally found a new valve. Only one I could find, anywhere.

NOS OEM Ac Delco 15-5272 Heater Valve GM 12321940 | eBay

other part numbers http://heaterpartsam.com/785-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-17, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Holy Crap! That's it.

I just bought that one off ebay, that really helps me out. Thank you so much for your help. I was afraid i was going to have to go fully aftermarket on that and i knew that was going to get expensive fast.

Thanks again from both myself and Chuck, my trusty and rusty friend.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-17, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Glad I was able to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Classic Fords > Classic Fords > Courier