Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
*VEHICLE: 2000 Ford f150 XL RWD, !BUT!99 4.6 Triton V8
W/(teardropopenings in intake manifold gaskets)
Front ABSBdisc brakes &'rear drum, 2 door bench seatcab. 8ft bed7
  1. *CAUSE OF ISSUE: My cats we're so clogged it cause my rear end to shake violently at 60+mph... Still trying to gather the physics on why lol...In order to drive while saving $ up. I punched out my pre cats and downstream cats, while at the same time using 2 spark plug non fouler's on each downstream O2 to lessen exhaust vapor readings.
*CURRENT *ISSUE: so now my truck is beyond loud like popcorn not Godzilla and bogs when stopping at highway stoplights
INQUIRY: Considering that the 2005+ 4.6 only use two cats, Could I delete the upstream"pre" cats (1L/1R), and replace the both DwnStrm cats with new, stock cats for an 05+ 4.6v8?
*Or will removing the upstream cats cause an issue with the O2 sensors and emission system?
I I was told somewhere that only the pre cats are needed for engine monitoring and self tuning... But everywhere else says the 2 dwn strm cats are more important.
  1. So basically I'm wondering if I can install a 05' 2 cat exhaust(without taking into consideration pipe routing order bolt pattern) just functionality of cat muffler and pipe, and without question pass Mo emissions testing
  2. ((if need be I can install 2 sparkNf's(between each 02 and exhaust) to act as vapor filter))to a 99/00 f150 xl 4.6 V8
I'll be using the original exhaust pipe & just filling gaps of piping @ 2 cats and wanting to install 2 cats From 05+

Any and all opinions advice experience is always appreciated

THANKS
yaMothaTruckas馃榿

Super Moderator
I would suggest going back to the stock cat configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
  • Right but the cheapest original style y pipe and cats is $700 bucks min. While thevcost of welding labor=$150/200.. while the 2005 f150 y pipe with 2 cats is as low as $300. I understand what's recommended... but can ANYONE actually answer my question or atleast give me the reason for your post?? Four cats on any V8 is overkill...
  • Q}("Will 2, 05' f150, catalitic converters eliminate exhaust fumes as well as the original 4 catalitic converters, and passing Emissions in MISSOURI

Super Moderator
They鈥檙e newer technology compared to the 4 cat midpipe. As far as fitment goes well I can鈥檛 say for sure but you鈥檙e talking about two different generations. The newer style exhaust may fit the older truck but theres no telling for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Reason for 4 cats on a V8: 2 upstream monitors the fuel-air ratio and so adjustments can be made accordingly per side. 2 downstream are compared to the upstream to calculate the effectiveness of the cat.As far as what will pass in Mo, you'll have to start here: Missouri Emissions Testing | DMV.com
From what I've read, they actually inspect the exhaust. If you're made after 96 (97 diesel) and under 8700, you are subject to the emissions laws.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts