Ford Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Explorer Sport with a constant 'door ajar' light. It happened once before when I was having problems opening the driver door. Dealer charged me twice: once to diagnose the problem and again to install a new door lock mechanism, about $300 total.

Same door-opening problem happended on the passenger door, but seemed to correct itself (with a loud pop) eventually. Now neither the rear hatch or door will unlock, and the light stays on.

I'm on disability and cannot really afford a shop visit. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

G

·
fido said:
2001 Explorer Sport with a constant 'door ajar' light. It happened once before when I was having problems opening the driver door. Dealer charged me twice: once to diagnose the problem and again to install a new door lock mechanism, about $300 total.

Same door-opening problem happended on the passenger door, but seemed to correct itself (with a loud pop) eventually. Now neither the rear hatch or door will unlock, and the light stays on.

I'm on disability and cannot really afford a shop visit. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Try spraying WD-40 into the latch. Really spray it in there, feel free to use a heavy hand. This is a known problem (google it!) that Ford refuses to tell anyone and results in $$ for the dealership. It seems that the sensor gets dirty and then the cold weather causes them to stick. I just had the same issue with my '03 and this trick worked wonders. Good luck.

· Registered
1 Posts
fido said:

Try liberally spraying WD-40 into the latch. That is where the sensor is for the door. It seems this is a common problem, especially in cold weather, that the dealer does not want to admit to. I have an '03 that had the same problem, I soaked the latch area and all fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.