Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I've got an 01 Windstar w/3.8.

In a nut shell, the engine is "Bound" up - Went to start it and it cranked/started to start, but then stopped - I can hear the starter engage fully, but no cranking.

I've experienced this exact problem several times in the past with the "old engine", but have since installed a Re-man engine in it and it's been good for around 80K+ miles.

In the past when this would happen I would rotate the engine manually via the crank pulley bolt and then she'd fire up and seemingly be fine ... this had happened several times over the coarse of around 6 months,... then one day I was leaving work doing about 10 miles an hour and she chucked a rod through the oil pan :( hence the new motor. (Which we installed from the top by the way :D )

Anyway,.. this motor has been well maintained and everything, but it just happened this morning. I spun the motor backwards a rotation or so, but it still wont get past the "tight" spot(?) I think in the past I had to use a breaker bar in the correct running rotation of the engine and force it past the tight spot, then she'd fire up and run.

I just want to be a bit smarter about this time around and find out what the root of the problem is and if there's a better way to combat this in the future?

I searched on line and found several exact/similar situations as mine with the Windstar, so I figured you guys may be been over this subject few times in the past? :)

I searched here, but didn't really find anything.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of curiosity, how many miles on each block?
I had over 100k on the original,.. I think I've got around 80K+ on this one...

I went out and rotated the engine by hand a couple of times and fired her up... it instantly made a clackity noise (Not clunky like a rod)... then I smelled antifreeze ... checked the exhaust,.. puffin' out white smoke smelling of antifreeze - Head gasket :( .... I'm guessing it must have leaked a bit when I shut it off the other day, and hydro locked the cylinder,..

Probably not going to fix,.. it was a spare vehicle and is getting a little rough... just going to probably send her down the road :(

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
The 3.8s are known for their head gasket failures, most likely thats what happened to the other one too. If you could use the vehicle and can get a used engine for cheap you might as well keep it but its not my time or money so I wont tell you how to spend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,430 Posts
Sounds as if it's knackered beyond economical repair , watch you dont throw good money away in what ever you decide to do . If it was in great condition apart from the engine , different ball game .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts