Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 focus sedan. Airbag light on, seatbelt light on, won’t go off. Changed the seatbelt plug into thingy, but still no go, lights still on. Checked old fastener, open circuit no seatbelt inserted, inserted seatbelt, still open circuit. Normal? Don’t think so. Also no codes on my scanner, like open seatbelt switch, etc. there is a sensor under seat on the metal rail the seat slides on that also has 2 wires on it, like the fastener, looks like some kind of seat positioned sensor, possibly metal prox sensor? metal bar will slide into notch for position indication ? Dont think this has weight sensor. Read some readings on this, the front impact sensor is next, hasn’t been touched. Will a better code reader tell me anything more? Any help appreciate.

·
Super Moderator
21,411 Posts
I think that sensor on rail is as you say a seat positional sensor in regard to the airbag inflation .Is the warning light not flashing any codes when ignition switched on ? It was common for the drivers seat wiring to get damaged with the seat often being adjusted with different drivers .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that sensor on rail is as you say a seat positional sensor in regard to the airbag inflation .Is the warning light not flashing any codes when ignition switched on ? It was common for the drivers seat wiring to get damaged with the seat often being adjusted with different drivers .
The airbag light is on steady from start up, no flashes, seatbelt light also. After inserting seatbelt, light stays on and will beep while driving. i purchased a new code reader that is supposed to read SRS codes, but just plugged it in, and not reading anything on it yet, reading manual. I am going to check connector under seat next, read manual and try again. Do you think the position sensor may disable air bag? It would only activate with seat all the way back. Maybe someone with a little more expertise can answer this.

·
Super Moderator
21,411 Posts
What is the driver’s seat position sensor if fitted and what does it do?

Your car is equipped with front dual-stage air bags for better safety during impacts. However, if you’re sitting too close to the steering wheel, an air bag inflating can actually cause more injury than if it hadn’t been activated in the first place. To help prevent this from happening, your car may have a Driver’s Seat Position sensor. It detects how close to the steering wheel (and the air bag in the steering wheel) the front seat is positioned. Based on this information, the car’s computer determines whether to activate the air bag or not.
In severe impacts, the air bag will be deployed no matter what the sensor says about the seat position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here is the latest. After reading the manual for the code reader, it is working fine. It is unable to communicate with the SRS system in the car. Clue #1. It does read my other car. Clue #2. Took it to a garage to confirm my suspicions, yes the air bag module is gone. Ford no longer makes them and since you can’t junk yard it, I will search for an aftermarket one but I doubt it, garage can program it if I can find one, so I start searching, does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the center console off today, and the module is right there, tomorrow I’ll disconnect battery and remove to get numbers off of it. I assume I’ll need the same number for replacement?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it out no problem, found a used one with the same model number (different serial) looks identical., well see....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts