Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '02 ranger edge, auto, 2wd, all stock, and when I first got it, I was getting about 20 mpg and I then had an oil leak, so I took it to the dealership and and they had to remove the engine for some reason to fix the leak and now I get only about 14 mpg...Does anyone know a reason for this?

·
97 F-150 XL 4x4
799 Posts
well since nobody else wants to talk to you i will.
14 mpg is really low for a small vehicle i know people who get 16-18 mpg in a fullsize f-150 4x4 with V8.
i say 20 or better should be about right but those numbers are found on the web to know exactly what it should be from the factory.
i'll have a look asap and get back to you with a good number.

·
97 F-150 XL 4x4
799 Posts
if this is the engine you have then here are the factory specs for it.
3.0L 154 hp V6
154 hp @ 5200 RPM
180 ftlbs tq @ 3900 RPM
City (mpg) 21 - 24
Highway (mpg) 25 - 28

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Theres definatley a problem somewhere, what was the initial problem in the first place? I would like to get 25mpg but i would be dreaming if i could get that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea I was getting around 20-22 mpg the first month i had it and then we took it in for the oil leak and they had to remove some of the engine and now we only get 14 mpg...thanks for you replys...I am defanatly going to bring it in.

·
Cheetah :D
19 Posts
i really dont know how much im getting, but the only thing i know is that is terribly bad. I mean i have to fill up like once a week. is that normal or really bad?

·
97 F-150 XL 4x4
799 Posts
cheetah if you have to fill up every week you got some serious problems too.
its hard to say what the problems are that you guys have but things as simple as a bad O2 sensor will increase the fuel consumption.
i have no idea where to tell you to start looking !

·
19 Posts
i drive around 120, plus what i drive in the weekend, which can vary but lets say around 45 miles on the weekend. Wow i didn't realize i drove that much. well thats about it i guess. Numbers vary a lot, but that would be the normal routine.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I can't work out the maths (too lazy, sorry) but i think you have problems there Cheetah. When was the last tune up done?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
While we're on fuel consumption, do you reckon 14mpg on the highway fully loaded with car parts and camping gear with trailer travelling at around 60 mph is good.

F150
5.0L V8
M50D
4.10 gears if you didn't know

·
19 Posts
i am not sure when the main tune up was done. I bought the truck about 3 months ago, took it to a friend mechanic and he said that everything was allright. I bought the truck with 38,600 miles and right now it has something close to 41, (im not sure i gotta check well). I asked him about oil changes and services and he said they were all done. I know nothing about motors, but im trying to learn *very slowly* :p

V8 are gas drainers, but at least gives u the power u want. I tryed making my truck accelerate fast and then i tryed my mom's windstar and it turns out that is accelerates faster than my truck :AAHHH: You probably have to fill up every week too. Small price to pay if you really like trucks :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Also try cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensor. It's the wires running across the air tube behind the filter. Pop the cone off, spray electrical contact cleaner on the wires or use a Q-Tip with alcohol (but be very gentle), then shoot it with some canned compressed air. If they get dirty they can mess up your fuel mixture. Then disconnect the battery for a few minutes so the computer resets itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mrwicked said:
also is 14 mpg normal for this type of truck or no?
I've got a 2000 Ranger "Trail Head" 3.0L. Straight , 5 speed. Most of my driving is Interstate. I've checked the gas mileage every time i've filled it up 20 months ago. I got it with 21m miles. With 135 MPG checks,:eyebrow: its averaging 22.3 and varies 1.3. I do this because I bought a new Tempo in 88 and got 33MPG. Not long afterward i starting getting 22. I though i would monitor this one. Hope this helps any one interested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts