Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '02 Taurus 6 cyl where the start up and idle down seem normal, but when it's put in gear and allowed to move just with engine idle it has a consistent wave like throttle surge that can easily catch you off guard and propel you too far forward. The surge happens in pulses about a second and a half apart. After you get rolling above 5mph the surge either doesn't happen or isn't noticed. Does it all the time anywhere in a drive, cold or hot. Been happening for at least 5 years now.

Any idea what's causing this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Logan. I don't think anybody has ever looked at the car for this problem and it's been a while since the plugs were looked at.

I had someone else comment on the situation...

'That scenario is called an idle roll or a warm idle roll. Typically what is happening is a condition that the PCM corrects and then stops and the condition repeats with correction and return to the issue. Unmetered air getting past the throttle body or a vacuum leak or some other lean or rich condition that is corrected and then the correction stops.'

I'll be cleaning out the throttle body and IAC today, and possibly the MAF to see if that helps the problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After cleaning the main throttle body I was going to clean the IAC valve but found this written on the outside... "Attention: Do not clean inside throttle body or adjust hard stop screw. Special coating on throttle plate and bore."

Again, this was written on the small IAC attached just after the throttle body, although it seems to refer to the throttle body itself. So is this referring just to the smaller 'body' the IAC is installed in or does it refer to the main throttle body with the large pivoting circular flap valve?

And whatever it's referring to, can I clean it despite this warning or should I follow the instruction?

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
Previous replies on using correct cleaner ,

Aussiblue

Moderators

Re: Throttle Body - To clean or not to clean.

Most name brand throttle body cleaner (e.g. CRC and Deep Creek) are now made to be Teflon safe as many throttle bodies on many different cars have a Teflon or similar coating that can be damaged with harsh cleaners or scrubbing. Just go for a name brand and/or check that it is labelled that it won't damage coating and use it according to the direction on the can.

Regards Blue .

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-15, 07:46 AM .

Bajarider

Moderators

WD40 also works well, and doesn't harm the TB coating.

Ford engineers have tuned the intake runner length for optimum performance and mileage at all RPM's, so forget the spacer, it does nothing but waste your money.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-15, 10:54 AM .

Aussiblue

Moderators

Whatever you do don't use standard carburettor cleaner that will remove the Teflon coating.

Regards Blue .

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-15, 10:58 AM .

Aussiblue

Moderators

Quote:

WD40 also works well, and doesn't harm the TB coating
But it may damage the MAP sensor if any residue get in it.

Regards Blue .

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-15, 06:46 AM .

Bajarider

Moderators

Correct Oz, I should been more explicit. Use MAF sensor cleaner only for the MAF, which is "up stream of the TB and gently wipe the WD 40 off of the TB when cleaning. Anything, including excessive oil from an air filter (common mistake), on the MAF sensor will confuse the resistance signal to the ECM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
R.S.LOGAN
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing