Ford Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I drove the car on a 40-mile trip, exited the freeway and found myself breathing some nasty smelling smoke and then saw smoke creeping up from between the hood and windshield area on both the driver's and passenger side. I thought I was looking at an engine fire about to happen.

I pulled over, opened the hood and saw that the insulation normally affixed to the underside of the body to shield the floorboards from the heat of the catalytic/header pipe had detached itself (on both passenger and driver's side) and was lying on the hot catalytic converters.

Even though that material is fire resistant, it was smoking a lot and there were some small embers burning in it. I reached in from under the car and pulled out as much insulation as I could, which did stop the burning and smoking.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the guy who worked on my exhaust system a few weeks ago accidentally loosened the insulation while working on it and this is the result.

A couple of questions: Is it a problem if I don't replace that burned insulation? I felt the exposed floorboards after driving another 40 miles and they were warm, but definitely not hot to the touch.

Is there an aftermarket spray-on insulation that perhaps could be used as a replacement?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
232 Posts
The other day I drove the car on a 40-mile trip, exited the freeway and found myself breathing some nasty smelling smoke and then saw smoke creeping up from between the hood and windshield area on both the driver's and passenger side. I thought I was looking at an engine fire about to happen.

I pulled over, opened the hood and saw that the insulation normally affixed to the underside of the body to shield the floorboards from the heat of the catalytic/header pipe had detached itself (on both passenger and driver's side) and was lying on the hot catalytic converters.

Even though that material is fire resistant, it was smoking a lot and there were some small embers burning in it. I reached in from under the car and pulled out as much insulation as I could, which did stop the burning and smoking.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the guy who worked on my exhaust system a few weeks ago accidentally loosened the insulation while working on it and this is the result.

A couple of questions: Is it a problem if I don't replace that burned insulation? I felt the exposed floorboards after driving another 40 miles and they were warm, but definitely not hot to the touch.

Is there an aftermarket spray-on insulation that perhaps could be used as a replacement?

Thanks.
It is possible that the floorboards could get much hotter in city stop and go traffic or waiting in line at the drive through etc when there is not much air flowing under the car. Did you feel the heat penetrating into the interior? That might be the only real concern.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts