Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last May 2020, I had work done to my truck (replaced timing chain guide, water pump, and right valve cover). 2 weeks ago, about ¼ of the valve cover tore clean off (in back, towards inside of truck). What would cause this to happen? Could it possibly have anything to do with the work I had done in May?

·
Super Moderator
23,478 Posts
From what you describe , I'm guessing the timing chain has been slapping about and destroyed the cam cover . Case of stripping it down and checking it out for cause and very possible further damage .All depends on what caused the original damage to cam box , what was authorised and recommended in repairs at that time . whether chain had excessive wear and should have been replaced . Also depends on who did the work , mileage since repair almost a year ago and what warranty given . Another possible cause could be a chain tensioner failure especially if chain stretched and at it's limit .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what you describe , I'm guessing the timing chain has been slapping about and destroyed the cam cover . Case of stripping it down and checking it out for cause and very possible further damage .All depends on what caused the original damage to cam box , what was authorised and recommended in repairs at that time . whether chain had excessive wear and should have been replaced . Also depends on who did the work , mileage since repair almost a year ago and what warranty given . Another possible cause could be a chain tensioner failure especially if chain stretched and at it's limit .
Thank you. My friend had the same thoughts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.