Ford Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Grand Marquis, with 97k, for 5 months. I replaced front springs with Monroe strut arrays, it was aligned,
new rotors and brakes, and it is still always wandering in unexpected ways when steering on a highway. Its better than it was before the struts, but veers and wanders continually, but slightly. but enough to always keep me busy
trying to guess which way it might slightly change. What should I look at now? It never seems to find a comfortable straight bead or falls out of position requiring constant, but slight and annoying correction. It feels loose somehow but I can't detect any sudden slop or predictable pattern. Just a constant slight swerving. So freeway driving is not a pleasant experience. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
I know when I replaced the factory tires on my car I ended up with a constant wander on the interstate. Just like you, just enough to keep me busy. In my case I think its the type of tire I replaced with. My old tires had more of a crass hatch tread pattern. The Goodyear MaxLife's have more of a straight line design and I think that is my problem.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
201 Posts
I have a 2004 Grand Marquis, with 97k, for 5 months. I replaced front springs with Monroe strut arrays, it was aligned,
new rotors and brakes, and it is still always wandering in unexpected ways when steering on a highway. Its better than it was before the struts, but veers and wanders continually, but slightly. but enough to always keep me busy
trying to guess which way it might slightly change. What should I look at now? It never seems to find a comfortable straight bead or falls out of position requiring constant, but slight and annoying correction. It feels loose somehow but I can't detect any sudden slop or predictable pattern. Just a constant slight swerving. So freeway driving is not a pleasant experience. Any suggestions?
You might experiment with the amount of pressure in your tires and see if that changes anything. Also check all the bushings and control arms that hold the rear axle in place.

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
Make sure the steering shaft and rag joint don’t have play in them. Also does it feel like the steering has too much assist at highway speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know when I replaced the factory tires on my car I ended up with a constant wander on the interstate. Just like you, just enough to keep me busy. In my case I think its the type of tire I replaced with. My old tires had more of a crass hatch tread pattern. The Goodyear MaxLife's have more of a straight line design and I think that is my problem.

View attachment 53962
The tires on this car are newer and they actually do look a lot like those, with deep straight lines ringing all around them. Ill check the brand. The previous owner said he replaced them with slightly larger ones than what were on before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might experiment with the amount of pressure in your tires and see if that changes anything. Also check all the bushings and control arms that hold the rear axle in place.
Thanks. I'll look into that. I assumed the mechanic would when I asked him the look at everything. I also am not sure I can inspect it all myself without a garage to do it in. I would much prefer to check it out myself and learn how to inspect all the things you mentioned. Not sure where to learn that skill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I just found out rear is supposed to be 35 and front 32 , and I had a cheapo pressure gauge pen style. So I was running 2 lbs under. It helped a little but I want to get everything under tight control and have it be the best it is supposed to be. Id like to take it on a long road trip to CA from Mn and I just can't see doing that now when it feels like this to drive. It s Ok on regular streets up to 40 mph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure the steering shaft and rag joint don’t have play in them. Also does it feel like the steering has too much assist at highway speeds?

I wonder how much assistance would be too much assist at highway? It feels like it doesn't know how to stay straight, as if it works its way off the desired adjustment line, but not by more than a degree, just a tendency to slack one way or the other, and never balance on a comfortable cruising line. You cant take eye off road. It doesnt leap way far off in a mechanical way.

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
Does it feel sloppy at speed or does the steering feel too easy?

·
Super Moderator
22,544 Posts
If you have excessive play at steering wheel , the cause or worn part/s need replaced . If not check all tires for size , type , different makes , any damage and run out when spinning Could also swap wheels around , either from front to back or side to side and road test

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check for worn tie rod bushings. Jack up front right and grab tire at 3 and 9 o’clock. Push and pull to check for play. Do same on left. Have you changed power steering fluid? Maybe your power steering gearbox needs replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts