Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an 06 MMH and have been having some throttle issues at low speeds and when taking off from a stop. It’s only happened twice now and both times it was in the afternoon when it was 90+ degrees out. Initially, I thought it was a fuel issue due to me having to almost put the pedal to the floor to get the thing to accelerate, but after I had the fuel system service the issue still persists. Please note: I also had the spark plugs, battery A/C filter, oil, and radiator flush done. Once the car is up to speed all seems fine until I come to a stop again.

I did have the A/C replaced (not recharged) by the dealership I purchased the car from due to the A/C not blowing cold and they explained that the lines also seemed pretty blocked up, so they said they cleaned out the blockage. I’m not sure if maybe there was something done to maybe cause the battery to overheat? Before the A/C was replaced, this was not an issue. This is my first hybrid power train, so forgive me if my information isn’t entirely accurate. Oh, and I’m not throwing any codes at the moment.

Anyone else have similar throttle issues?

Thanks, Brett

·
Super Moderator
8,437 Posts
While I don't know much about hybrids, I do know a little about batteries and power generation. The battery's life is about as much dependent on use as it is on power cycle. If there are a lot of deep discharges, it may shorten the battery life. As they get older, the battery has a more difficult time taking a charge which makes the fuel powered engine work harder to charge it. Temperature can also play a factor. A dinosaur burner is more efficient with colder air, you can't get the same horsepower in the heat of the summer as you can in the winter. Temperature can also affect most batteries charging ability. It take more to charge them.

All that being said, you may still have plenty of like left to the battery, it may be that the engine doesn't have the power when sucking in hot air. I've driven a hybrid Fusion and a comparably outfitted none hybrid. The non hybrid had quite a bit more pep. The regular Mariner came with V6 which gave you more horsepower and torque and was lighter.

My recommendations: see if there's something in the car that will tell you battery health and/or expected life. If it doesn't display it, it might be wort seeing if a Ford dealership can give you a report. It may also lead back to early signs of a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I finally took it to the dealer for a more comprehensive look and from what they told me the Traction Battery Control Module is the culprit. They said that this module is what controls the valve that opens and closes to cool the battery during operation. They were able to manually open the valve, but the module would not send the signal itself to open the valve which is what’s causing the battery to overheat and essentially put itself into a fail safe mode until it’s temps have gone down. According to them this component can’t be fixed or replaced by itself and that the entire battery pack has to be replaced, which is very unfortunate.. not sure if anyone else can chime in about it, but it looks like I’m going to have to do my best to not put the battery in a position to overheat. To me, this thing isn’t worth putting in whatever much it would take to replace the battery. I’ll be heading to the dealership I bought the car from in the morning to see if there’s something they can help with, but I’m not holding my breath..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts