Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2006 Mercury Monterey minivan got a replacement transmission about 5 years ago. Last week the trans front seal blew on a hot day while hauling a few hundred extra pounds and a canoe on the roof. The trans shop says best to just swap in another used trans. Whattaya think?

They want $700 for the labor and say why fool around w figuring out why the seal blew just pop in a fresh trans. I found one near Chi for $640 delivered to mid-Mich.

I've heard the trans are weak on these...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
worth trying to diagnose the blown seal? or smarter to just swap in new (old) trans?

my shop charges $700 for the swap and I found a used trans for $650 delivered.

(my impression was the trans was a LOT easier to find a few yrs ago. and both install and trans were cheaper. oh well!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS: Now I recognize the REAL part number for this transmission! This brings up a ridiculous problem, though. When I search for used Merc Mont trans I get a bunch of expensive results on eBay and I can't find anything on Craiglist. BUT!!! When I search for the part number of the transmission I get TONS of cheap used trans results on eBay! BUT!!! It says it's not compatible w my Merc Mont. Apparently, it's the same trans as the Taurus!!! Why am I seeing this conflicting info?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts