Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5.4 Triton 4x4 160,000 miles

Took heads off to replace head gaskets. (tons of oil in coolant, and vice versa) However to check the cylinders I turned the crankshaft by hand and lo and behold....cylinder 4 wasn't moving at all. 馃槥 Just stuck at the top of the block.

So before my dumb ass does ANYTHING, I wanted to (yet again) talk to the pros here on what will be most feasible steps to take given my circumstances.

Since I'm poor as always Im just looking for the fix that will get me by for a couple months until I can do an engine swap. I completely realize just replacing 1 cylinder is no good for the big picture here. But I'm just needing to know if that's temporarily doable? Or an absolute, complete, 100%, NO-GO whatsoever and engine replacement is the only option at this point?

Just needing some solid direction on what to do here. Much thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
If it was me , I wouldn't waste time and money on trying to salvage it .Very rarely did I have success and a viable repair , the times I was tempted to do such work . In fact I'm struggling to remember any successful jobs , but do recollect vowing " never again " . When you start examining closely you usually find more damage . Even then you don't know what caused the damage originally , could have been the engine hydrolocked for whatever reason and cause still to be found . If that was the case usually it ends up with catastrophic engine damage. But I never like to deter a trier like your self , if you decide to fire ahead , hope you are lucky

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See this is the type of wisdom that should be able to be bottled and sold by the ounce. It's so invaluable.

I appreciate it as always. I'm definitely a trier but I also don't want to accidentally commit "motivation suicide" by pissing myself ALL the way off and never picking up a wrench again.

So my next question (I'm good at these) is do I do a full rebuild of all the components? Or not even the shells are worth keeping and just get a good used motor?

Super Moderator
It's one of those jobs when you really need to thoroughly examine on strip down for damage / wear and decide on findings what route to take . Had some where they were just scrap , not suitable for reconditioning because of damage and would never be right no matter the cost . I honestly think you would have all sorts of hassles , setbacks and just sicken yourself by trying to salvage this engine .A good , used motor may be the best option . Others on forum may chip in with their opinions and help you decide .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts