Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the stimulating JMOD video a couple of nights ago and realized that in the video, he talks about a temp sensor inside the trans. I've been thinking about adding a trans temp gauge. SO, the question is, does my trans (I think it is a 4R75W) have a trans temp sensor AND if it does, is there a way to read the output and connect it to a digital gauge?

A secondary question is whether the JMOD procedure could be done on my 4R75W trans. The video talks about a 4R70W (I think). The shifts on my "boat" are really soft and while that's OK for Grandpa and Grandma (for fear of snapping their fragile neck bones), it makes sense to have a more positive shift. I plan on doing a little bit of infrequent medium duty towing, possibly in hilly areas so I want to have positive shifting and be able to monitor trans fluid temp. Maybe just addling an external sensor is easiest for a match between gauge and sensor... Anybody having already mounted an external sensor? If so, where did you place it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You would have to have a gauge that is calibrated the same as the sensor resistance. It may be easier to install a mechanical gauge.
As for the JMOD I have heard of it but never done it. I believe it just opens some feed holes in the separator plate. I don't think it would be an issue on a 4r75. They are essentially the same Trans.

·
Super Moderator
1,055 Posts
Except for the accumulator springs, the '08 plates are pretty much "J modded" for oil flow. You can check orifice sizes when the trans is apart to be sure. Beware of those "Grandpas" you mentioned! Some of them grew up on the smell of burning rubber and have had many years to get smarter and faster- well, faster anyways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Bajarider
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing