Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, this "less than 1 hour project" is fairly straight forward, but what the heck, I like to write and I just completed doing it. Sorry, no photos but you don't need them.

1) Disconnect battery (if you are being safe.)
2) Disconnect the input plug to fan module.
3) Reach down between the front of the engine and the rear of the cooling fan housing and lift up the lower radiator hose, out of the plastic "hook" at the bottom of the fan assembly housing. Push the hose towards the back of the car (and below the "hook")
3) Lift the PS reservoir up to disengage the reservoir's "post" on the bottom, from slot in the cooling fan housing'
4) While lift up the upper radiator hose, push the PS res towards the back of the car, to the drivers side of the car and under the radiator hose. The hose holds the res out out of the way.
5) Remove the bolt (8mm head) from the flange at the top of the coolant reservoir.
6) Push the res towards the back of vehicle and twist somewhat to make the res "catch" on the vertical steel plate bolted to the top of the engine. The res is held out of the way by the plate.
7) On the passenger side, on the back of the housing, push the metal AT fluid tubings out of the nylon clip holder. Push the tubings towards the passenger side of the car.
8) On each side of the cooling fan housing, about four inches down from the top of the housing, remove the bolt (8mm head) on each side.
9) About 15 inches below the top of the cooling fan housing, There is a tab on each side of the housing that engages in a matching "hook" on the vehicle. Lifting the cooling fan housing up about an inch will allow the tabs to come free from the support hooks. However, the upper radiator hose prevents vertically raising the assembly straight up and out. It also might prevent the housing tab (on the drivers side) from fully disengaging the hook on that side.
10) Tilting the top of the fan housing towards the rear of the car should provide just enough vertical space to bring the fan housing (on the drivers side) up out of the tab hook on that side.
11) Now for the trick. Push the drivers side of the fan housing down whilst lifting up the passenger side of the housing. (don't you just love 'whilst' ?)
12 ) Continue rotating the housing to bring the passenger side of the housing up and out first. Lovely.
13) If you determined that the fan was bad but the module was not, save the module for it might come in handy. But, for all I have read, it is usually the module that goes bad.
13) Installation is simply the reverse of the above.

I found a TYC cooling fan assembly (WITH MODULE) on Amazon for $117 plus tax (my shipping was free as I have Prime). I just looked and the price has gone down to $111.
(The same item is available on Rock Auto for $113 plus tax but the shipping to me was going to be $11. That's why I used Amazon-free 2 day shipping with Prime.)

Also note that the fan module, by itself, is $95 (A GATES brand thru Rock Auto). It is a direct fitment for the OEM part. It has a limited lifetime warranty.

The BEST part about the TYC fan assembly is:

TYC Warranty Information:
Limited Lifetime for non-commercial use
Warranty Details (see bottom of this post)

However, the fan control module is not identical to the OEM part. The module is hard wired to the fan motor. This will make it difficult to install an OEM fan control module at a later point in time. However, given that the whole fan assembly with module is not too much more than the module itself, replacement part cost is a wash. If you are paying labor, maybe the module only replacement (P+L) comes out cheaper.

TYC/Genera Warranty Policy TYC/Genera Corporation warrants its products to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as they remain installed on the vehicle for which they were originally purchased. This warranty is non-transferable and will be voided under any of the following conditions: 1. Use in commercial or fleet, governmental, off-road, or racing applications. 2. Failure due to natural/environment forces; either external or internal erosion, including effects of salt-air corrosion and electrolysis from internal cooling system fluids. 3. If Genera determines alteration, improper use or installation, negligence, or operating conditions in excess of original design. 4. A faulty vehicle engine temperature warning system. 5. Improper installation causing damage to connection threads. 6. Removal of any stamp, label or manufacturer’s identification.

·
Super Moderator
809 Posts
I just made this into a sticky so it’ll be easy to find in the future. Thank you for your contribution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts