Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery died on my fathers car, replaced battery and now experiencing multiple electrical issues.

Tried a battery reset, removed negative and left overnight, hooked back up. No change.

Symptoms.

Stuck in park - can depress solenoid switch under steering wheel to shift out of park
Have brake lights - swapped brake switch just to test, was not bad
No turn signals - when using turn signal, it activates a left or right high beam
no interior lights
DASH DISPLAYING
Flashing a code 53
Showing trunk open
TPMS showing fault

Radio works, hvac works

I've checked the central fuse box and fuse box under the hood. All check out.
I don't see any rodent damage, wires look to be in good shape.

Leaning toward a module failure of sorts, but hate to go on a goose chase.
Light research leads me to either a master light switch, clock spring, or turn signal stalk failure.

Would anyone be able to provide some insight towards these symptoms?

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts

·
Super Moderator
836 Posts
These cars use a lighting control module. All lighting is controlled by this module so when they act up youll get all sorts of electrical issues. However I dont know if there is an easy way of testing it other than pulling it apart and testing is component by component. Luckily there are people that rebuild them. I hate to tell you to buy another one or send it out to be rebuilt but that may be easier than trying to diagnose a bad one. Ford might be able to diagnose it but Im sure it wont be cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,456 Posts
I think the LCM is covered by a recall. Mine was. Check with your dealer.
Dont think it covered 2008 models Gary if it was the recall below ?

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2003-2005 Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis vehicles manufactured October 3, 2001, to August 2, 2005.

The affected vehicles have a lighting control module (LCM) that may fail, resulting in a loss of headlights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If a schematic is available for the lcm and the module is easy to access,you could see if power is leaving the module at the pinouts for the components youve lost,to make sure voltage is being output up to that point.However if all of those ill functioning components are failing on a full time or intermittent basis,replacement of the module is likely the best course of action.You could try the hit or miss option of replacing it with one from a vehicle at Pull-A-Part (if the lcm is very costly new) or go ahead & bite the bullet with a new one if its not too costly or you don't mind forking out the cash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts