Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i own a 2009 Mercury Grand Marquis limited edition, im planning on swapping out the rear axle (2.73) for a posi lock (3.73?) Can i just remove my axle and swap in a new one or are there other things i need to add or remove...

·
Super Moderator
1,104 Posts
The car never came with 3.73's, so simply swapping the axle is not an option. You will also have to deal with reprogramming your speedo, and 3.73's are be beyond the limits of your ECM. Additionally, you will still need an after market posi as (I believe) Ford's Traction Lock was never an option. Your car already has "traction control" which is controlled by the anti-lock brake system. I would find an HPP and use the 3.23's from that car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

• The car never came with 3.73's, so simply swapping the axle is not an option. You will also have to deal with reprogramming your speedo, and 3.73's are be beyond the limits of your ECM. Additionally, you will still need an after market posi as (I believe) Ford's Traction Lock was never an option. Your car already has "traction control" which is controlled by the anti-lock brake system. I would find an HPP and use the 3.23's from that car.
    Im hoping to make this car have more power to it. So im trying to get a better rear end axle including the whole diff. Im also planning on rebuilding and modifieing the engine as well as maybe replacing the original ecu with a P71 ecu... also the suspension and stuff like the HPP.

·
Registered
4 Posts

• Im hoping to make this car have more power to it. So im trying to get a better rear end axle including the whole diff. Im also planning on rebuilding and modifieing the engine as well as maybe replacing the original ecu with a P71 ecu... also the suspension and stuff like the HPP.
Why not just use the 3.55 trac-loc unit that came on some Interceptors (Axle code X5 or C6) and use the computer from the donor car?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts