Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hello as being one of the first hope this forum gets going i have alot of questions.

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Here's your first -

can I bolt a GT motor to a GL tranny? I thikn I also need to swap ECUs, wiring, halfshafts, some steering components, etc. BUT - are the trannies the same?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan [Sac] said:
Here's your first -

can I bolt a GT motor to a GL tranny? I thikn I also need to swap ECUs, wiring, halfshafts, some steering components, etc. BUT - are the trannies the same?
yes, i believe they are direct bolt ons, however the gear ratios are slightly different, being the gt's gear ratio is made to match the 2.2 turbo's powerband and has beefier internals as well. if you are going that lengh, you might as well swap trannies too. i heard it's a lot more work than you think...

·
Probe Gt TurboMember
11 Posts
Tanny

No you can not bolt on a GL tranny to a GT motor, I have a GT and my tranny went out (like that dosnt happen in every probe hehe) and I was sold the wrong tranny, from a 90 GL, its turns out everything bolts on really well, execpt for the VERYLAST step, the Halfshafts, they are about a centimeter or so bigger in the GT then the GL, so it wouldnt fit, I went to everysingle shop I knew, and NEW ONEs, I even went to a special custom halfshaft shop, and they said that they couldnt make any that would becuase the trouqe will break them in half even though they are just a hair bigger, so please dont try and save your self from some heartache

1 - 5 of 5 Posts