Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Simmons widened to 17x10's. I'm running these on my XB coupe 17x8s up front (245's 45's) and 17x10 rear (275's 40's). Has anybody gone through an engineer to get wheel mods done??? What is the process like ... any help would be great.

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
Never tryed to get a report, but can you post a pic, that sounds like it would look bloody tuff. What style simmons are they?

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
I've gotten my brother's car engineered through a bloke at Qbn, but it was for NSW RTA...

Have you spoken to tech standars at the motor registry yet? They can point you in the right direction on who to speak to.

·
3,666 Posts
I forgot to mention, I found it to be a bit of a hassel... First, find out what rego will allow with the engineers certificate. Then go and speak to the engineer of your choice (rego have a list (or used to) of approved engineers for the ACT). Then the engineer will inspect your vehicle, and tell you what you need to do before he will pass it.

Then make necessary repairs/alterations and when he is happy, he will issue you with a certificate explaining the modifications/alterations... Then no more cop/rego hassels.

It's a bit of running around (depending on which engineer you go with). I think my brother paid $600 for his car (EFI conversion and aftermarket computer)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is a pic of the mag ... they are yet to be put on the car ... aiting in a valve... damn simmons are slack .... thanks for all the advice i will tell you how i go.

·
3,666 Posts
I thought I saw your car out the front of the C-Times a couple of months ago.... With the simmons all round (8's)... looks pretty impressive!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ... but 8's in thise rear wheel arches look pathetic ...the car looked good from the side .... the suspension goes in next weekend ... woo hoo!!! no more sqeaky bushes and boat handleing ...

ive got koni adjustables all round . nolathane bushes for everywhere . front and rear whiteline swaybars . new front balljoints . lovell superlow front springs . ... the rear leaf springs will be reset and another leaf added the week after.

·
3,666 Posts
Sounds like she will be a sweet handler as well as a smooth looker!

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
Exactly what I need to do to my suspension, but I like my stockie wheel's :).

·
gilbiegt351
166 Posts
I dont know about the ACT rego regs when it comes to 10` ryms but as was discussed at a RTA inspectors corse last weekend as long as the wheels/tyres dont stick out of the guards & the wheel centre sits in the centre of the rym there is not a problem with fitting them.
The disscussion also coveres mini tubs & providing that the chasis rail has not been changed they are also legal & an Engineers report is not required.
Having said that it was also discussed that the decision is also up to the inspector & that the boys in blue may have a different opinion at the time as was the case at the SUMMERNATS when I got pulled up for " LOOKING SUS " they went over the coupe and eventhough I knew the wheel track was not legal they give me the "big off you go then" no drama.

Good Luck.

·
3,666 Posts
ACT have been strict with different rim sizes on front and rear of vehicle... It used to be no outright, but from what I heard, a chick with a old monaro took them to court and won. So they changed their rules and said you can, but you need an engineers certificate.

I've found the RTA really strict, as my brothers car "needed" the offset to be reduced by 2mm, otherwise the engineer would not pass them... So on when the stockies, and no problemo. After it left the engineers, on went the mags.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
EB2Ghia said:
I just got my Simmons widened to 17x10's. I'm running these on my XB coupe 17x8s up front (245's 45's) and 17x10 rear (275's 40's). Has anybody gone through an engineer to get wheel mods done??? What is the process like ... any help would be great.
You can fit 9's on the front and 12's on the rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts